by Tarla Dalal
Added to 331 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 110759 times
Aromatic saffron rice layered with a spicy gravy of vegetables. You can make a baked version of veggie biryani by assembling the rice in a baking dish and baking for 10 minutes at 150 C.
- Warm the saffron, add a little water, rub it so the milk becomes yellow and add to the rice.
- Mix in the rice, chopped mint leaves and salt and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan add bayleaves, peppercorns and cloves to it.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder, asafoetida and nutmeg powder. Cook for a few minutes while mashing continuously till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the tomato sauce and milk-corn flour mixture. Bring to a boil, add cream and mix well.
- Mix the vegetables in the gravy and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a huge vessel make a layer by spreading 1/3 of the rice.
- On it spread half the gravy and 1/3 of rice. Layer again with remaining half of the gravy and remaining 1/3 rice. Cover a lid and seal the edges with a dough.
- Cook on a slow flame for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutrient values per
|Vitamin A||671.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||29 mg|
|Folic Acid||37.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.