Veg Club Sandwich by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 1606 times
It would be quite fair to call this a global favourite, because the Vegetable Club Sandwich is one snack you can rely on to satiate your hunger anywhere in the world. Found on most restaurant menus, this satiating multi-decker sandwich may be found in many variants depending on the region and the chef’s imagination! This recipe is an interesting and slightly Indianised version in which one of the layers comprises a flavourful tomato omelet, perked up with green chillies and spice powders. Creamy and tangy coleslaw forms another layer, while the rest of the sandwich is comprised of crunchy and juicy veggies and greens.A dash of peppy chutneys like green chutney and garlic chutney heightens the desi feel of this Vegetable Club Sandwich.
Recipe Description for Veg Club Sandwich
- Combine all the ingredients with approx. ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well to make a batter of pouring consistency.
- Divide the batter into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly with oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava (griddle) and spread in a circular motion to make a 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle.
- Cook on a medium flame, using a little oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cut the tomato omlette into the size of a bread slice and keep aside.
- Repeat steps 3 and 6 to make remaining.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with oil. Once hot place 4 paneer slices on it and cook it till it gets evenly charred and crisp.
- Turn over the paneer slices, sprinkle little salt and pepper evenly over the paneer slices and cook it on the other side till it gets evenly charred or crisp.
- Repeat step 1 and 2 to make 2 more batches of paneer.
- Divide the coleslaw into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Apply 1 tsp of butter evenly over the 1st toasted bread slice and spread a portion of the coleslaw evenly over it.
- Spread 1½ tbsp of the lettuce evenly over it. Keep aside
- On the 2nd toasted bread slice spread 1 tsp of red garlic chutney evenly over it.
- Trim the edges of the tomato omlette and cut it of the same size of the toasted bread slice. Place this square tomato omlette on the 2nd toasted bread slice over the garlic chutney.
- Place 4 onion slices evenly over it and sprinkle a little salt and pepper evenly over it.
- Place this 2nd toasted bread slice and the 1st slice containing coleslaw.
- On the 3rd bread slice spread ½ tbsp of green chutney evenly over it.
- Arrange 3 paneer slices, 4 cucumber slices and 3 tomato slices evenly over it and sprinkle a little salt and pepper evenly over it.
- Place this 3rd toasted bread slice over the 2nd slice containing the omlette and onions.
- Apply 1 tsp of butter evenly over the 4th toasted bread slice and place it over the 3rd bread slice containing paneer with the buttered side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Insert big satay toothpicks on 2 opposite corners of the sandwich to hold the sandwich properly and cut into half from the other side diagonally.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and potato wafers.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.