Vangi Bhath, Maharashtrian Rice with Baingan by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 234 times
Many people enjoy exotic international foods only when they are in the mood for it. However, traditional and homely foods are always enjoyable for all of us, as they bring back happy and comfortable memories of home!
Vangi Bhath is one such traditional Maharashtrian dish with an appetizing aroma and rich taste. Made of brinjals and rice, flavoured with a gamut of spices and a rich paste of coconut, onions, spices and seeds, this makes a perfect one-dish meal when served with a cup of curds or a raita.
Recipe Description for Vangi Bhath, Maharashtrian Rice with Baingan
Makes 3 servings
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same small non-stick pan, add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same small non-stick pan, add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, star anise and cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Combine all the sautéed ingredients along with the curry leaves and ¼ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cloves, bayleaf, cardamom and peppercorn and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the brinjal and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste and 2 tbsp water and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garlic paste, ginger paste, salt and 5 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and coriander, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.