by Palak Rajput
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17902 times
Traditional Modak is a sweet dumpling made with rice flour. The stuffing is prepared with freshly grated coconut and jaggery. Both are cooked along with few condiments till the mixture comes together. The mixture is then stuffed in rice flour dough to form modak.
- Melt the ghee and keep aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add jaggery and a splash of water.
- Allow the jaggery to melt, add grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Allow the coconut jaggery mixture to cook for few more minutes till the mixture feels sticky to the fingers.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and let it cool completely.
- Mix dry fruits to the above mixture. Sieve the rice flour and keep aside.
- Bring to boil a cup of water, add salt, a drop of ghee and rice flour.
- Remove from heat and mix well with a spatula.
- Allow the rice flour dough to cool a bit.
- Knead the rice flour dough into smooth soft but non sticky dough.
- Take a lemon sized portion of the rice flour dough and flatten it.
- Flatten the edges a little more than the middle part.
- Place the disk on palm of the hand and bring the fingers together to form the disk into a cup.
- Make pleats more defined and fill the cup with coconut jaggery mixture.
- Use ghee to grease the fingers if the rice flour tends to stick to them.
- Bring the top part of cup together carefully and seal it.
- Repeat the same with remaining rice flour dough.
- Steam the prepared modak for 8 – 10 minutes depending on the size of the modak.
- Modak looks shiny and little more transparent when cooked.
- Let the modak cool a bit before serving with ghee.
- Handy Tip: if the rice flour sticks to the fingers, cook it for few more seconds to let evaporate the moisture a bit.
This recipe was contributed by Palak Rajput on 14 Dec 2010
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.