10 BEST INDIAN TOMATO RECIPES
Most of us buy tomatoes whenever we shop for veggies, and a lot of times we also stop over mid-week to buy more tomatoes because the last batch is over! That’s how commonly tomatoes are used in our kitchen. Not only that, tomatoes are easily available and economical and we all have some in our kitchen at all times. So, when our veggie shopping gets delayed and we don’t know what to cook on a Sunday morning, or when you are just back from a short trip and find there’s nothing in the fridge, tomatoes will surely come to your rescue to make simple delicacy like Tomato Omelette.
Tomato Omelette Recipe
Plus, tomatoes also cook quickly and easily so most of the tomato-based foods are hassle-free. For these and more reasons, all of us must have a few easy-peasy tomato recipes up our sleeves. Not just that, it also helps to learn how to make some of the commonly bought tomato-based items like tomato ketchup and pizza sauce, so that you can avoid commercially-prepared, chemical-loaded foods and treat your family to the authentic stuff!
Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin A and lycopene, both of which act as an antioxidant and reduce inflammation an stress. They keep our heart healthy and are diabetic-friendly and safe for pregnant women also. Readi 13 Benefits of Tomato.
Top 10 Tomato Recipes
1. Tomato ketchup is a wonderful accompaniment for snacks ranging from samosas to sandwiches. It is loved by kids and used a lot in every household. So, it is better made at home than bought. You can use this delicious homemade ketchup to make recipes like Tomato ketchup Recipes.
Tomato Ketchup, Tomato Sauce, Homemade Tomato Ketchup
2. Basic Kolhapuri gravy is a popular gravy known for its rich mouth-feel and spicy flavour. It is the perfect match for mixed vegetables or paneer. You can store it in the freezer for around two weeks. On a busy day you just need to defrost it, add cooked veggies and boil, and you have a lovely dish on the table in minutes.
Basic Kolhapuri Gravy
3. Basic Makhani Gravy is a rich and buttery Indian gravy that is used commonly in North Indian subzis containing tomatoes. The creamy taste of the sauce combines beautifully with the tang of tomatoes. Like the Kolhapuri gravy, this sauce too can be stored in the freezer and used whenever required to make drool-worthy subzis with veggies or paneer.
Basic Makhani Gravy, Popular Restaurant Makhani Gravy
4. Pizza sauce needs no introduction. Used all over the world to make mouth-watering pizzas, this sauce relies on tomatoes for its succulent mouth-feel and tangy taste. It can be made in bulk and stored in the freezer, ready to be used whenever required. Use this authentic homemade pizza sauce to make delicious pizzas.
5. Paneer Tamatar Paratha is a perfect satiating one dish meal. This North Indian delicacy has the perfect zest and tang of tomatoes balanced with paneer, coriander, capsicum and green chillies. Serve with a pickle to square up your meal.
Paneer Tamatar Paratha
6. Roasted Capsicum Soup features an unusual combination of tomatoes and red capsicum, which is sure to kindle awake the tomato lover in you.
Roasted Capsicum Soup
7. Fresh tomato pulp is a basic recipe that you cannot live without. A handy stock of this pulp makes it quick and easy to prepare dishes like subzis and dals. Store it in the fridge in a dry and airtight container.
Fresh Tomato Pulp, Homemade Tomato Pulp
8. Pav Bhaji, the all-time favourite Mumbai roadside snack also stars tomatoes as the key ingredient of the bhaji. It gives the bhaji its attractive red colour, pulpy consistency and yummy flavour! Here’s how to make this ever-popular dish at home -
Pav Bhaji ( Pressure Cooking )
9. Cream of Tomato soup is a hot favourite with Indians. Although several varieties of soups are served at buffets and restaurants, Cream of Tomato is a must include item in any menu! Most times when Indians feel like having a bowl of soup, tomato soup is their first choice. With a dash of pepper, it leaves a warm and spicy taste on your taste buds, and surely kindles your appetite.
Cream Of Tomato Soup, Indian Style
10. Tomato Cheese Sandwich is a must-needed recipe to be packed in kids tiffin box . A cheese spread and tomato combination in this sadnwich needs no accompaniment – and it owes all this to tomatoes!
Tomato Cheese Sandwich, Kids Afterschool Recipe
Before you start trying our favourite, top 10 basic tomato recipes, buy a batch of firm and red-coloured tomatoes as they have a better colour and taste, and tend to be less sour than those that have blotches of yellow and green on them. If your tomatoes are fully ripe, then you can store them in the fridge. Else, just store them out of direct sunlight at room temperature, preferably with the stem side down. Even ripe tomatoes will stay good at room temperature for a day or two, so if you plan to use it quickly do not refrigerate. Although refrigeration helps to preserve the fruit for longer, tomato-lovers hate refrigerating it because it hinders flavour-enhancing enzyme activity. So, if you have a small batch, keep it on the counter-top. If you have a larger quantity and it is ripe, stow it into the fridge in a basket without squishing the tomatoes.
Now, you’re all set to lose yourself in the pulpiness, tanginess and sheer excitement of tomatoes!