Tomato Rasam by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 448 times
A perfect recipe for you to enjoy the true flavours of home-made south Indian cooking. Rasam is an essential part of every south Indian meal, and is usually served as the second main course following sambhar (or some other kuzhambu).
Recipe Description for Tomato Rasam
- Combine all the ingredients in a small non-stick pan, and dry roast on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till they release flavour, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal and 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Whisk the dal thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomato pulp, tamarind water, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the rasam masala, and 3 cups of water, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling rasam and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with the coriander.
- Blanch 3 medium tomatoes in hot water, peel and blend in a mixer to get ½ cup of tomato pulp.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.