Sundal, Chatpata Sundal
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Sundal, Chatpata Sundal in Hindi)
Added to 44 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 47433 times
From beaches and parks to temples, Sundal is ubiquitous in South India, especially Tamilnadu!
What is so special about Sundal is that it is just as welcome on a hot summer’s day as on a cold winter’s evening!
This dish can be made with almost all legumes, but tastes especially good with white or brown chickpeas.
- Clean, wash and soak the kala chana overnight in enough water. Next morning, drain and keep aside.
- Combine the kala chana with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, mix well and add asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame till the dal turns light brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the kala chana, mangoes, coconut, green chillies and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add the lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot.
- For a quick fix meal, simply add 2 cups of cooked rice and ¼ cup coconut milk to the sundal and toss well. Serve hot with fried papad and pickle.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||265.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||18.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||5.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.