Stuffed Potato Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 204 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59830 times
This unique Stuffed Potato Idli is incomparable to any snack you have ever tasted before – a totally out-of-the-world savoury experience!
Each cup in the idli plate is first lined with a layer of semi-spicy potato bhaji, which is topped with idli batter, and then steamed. This causes the bhaji and the idli to fuse, resulting in a super tasty Stuffed Potato Idli.
The bhaji is made of mashed potatoes perked up with a traditional tempering and common flavouring ingredients like coriander and lemon juice. The peppy flavour of the bhaji, is therefore a perfect match for the idli layer, which itself is extremely soft due to the addition of a little fruit salt to the batter.
You could look at this as a totally unique version of more common snacks like aloo bun. This can be served for Breakfast or as a late evening snack too.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder, lemon juice, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Grease the idli stand with a little oil and put 1 tbsp of the bhaji in each mould and spread it lightly.
- Pour approx. 2 tbsp of the idli batter over the bhaji in each mould.
- Steam in a steamer for 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make more idlis.
- Allow the idlis to cool slightly and demould them.
- Serve hot with sambhar, coconut chutney and tomato chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.