Spinach and Potato Gnocchi
by Elad Stern
This recipe has been viewed 9783 times
A healthy, rich, vegan eggless version of an italian classic. . . It contains many helpful minerals, free from gluten and fat, and will melt in your mouth. . . Be sure to blanch the spinach for at least 5-8 minutes, as well as squeeze it thoroughly so that the oxalic acid, that which reduces iron intake, is diminished.
- Boil potatoes with skin until tender. Drain, peel and mash.
- Blanch the spinach for 5-8 minutes on low flame, in hot water.
- Drain, cool and squeeze tightly, until liquids are out.
- Chop the spinach, then add to potatoes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix well with a spoon. Take a handful amount, making a 2cm thick snake out of it. Put the snakes on a surface.
- Cut each snakes into 3cm long pieces. (optional) mark the top of each piece with a fork.
- Make a cross with knife at the base of each tomato. Boil them together for 1 minute.
- Take out the tomatoes, cool, peel the skin and chop finely.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a small pan. Add the asafoetida, and wait 5 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, peppercorns and cloves and simmer for another 10-11 minutes.
- Add the curds and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Grease a baking tray or pad with baking paper.
- Put tomato sauce in the bottom of the tray.
- Put the Gnocchi above the tomato sauce, in one layer if possible.
- Bake 15 minutes over Medium-High heat (210 C) until browned. Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by Elad Stern on 02 Jan 2013
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.