Sambhar ( How To Make Sambhar, South Indian Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Sambhar ( How To Make Sambhar, South Indian Recipe) in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Sambhar ( How To Make Sambhar, South Indian Recipe) in Gujarati)
Added to 162 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 309808 times
This is one South Indian dish that needs no introduction, and probably the most versatile of them all. Each family uses the ingredients in various proportions. You can also try varying the quantities depending on your preference. The vegetables added to sambhar (or any kuzhambu) are referred to as ‘thaan’. Various thaans include drumstick, potato, colocasia, radish, carrot, capsicum, pumpkin, brinjal, ladies finger etc.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add all the ingredients and sauté on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till they release flavour.
- Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Soak the toovar dal and chana dal in enough water for 20 minutes and drain.
- Combine the dals with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Whisk the dal thoroughly and keep aside.
- Combine the brinjal, drumstick, bottle gourd and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till all the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the cooked dals, shallots, tomatoes, tamarind pulp, the prepared sambhar masala, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the sambhar, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.