Green garlic recipes, Recipes using hara lehsun
Fresh green garlic recipes | Indian recipes using hara lahsun (green garlic). Green garlic is what you could call garlic’s counterpart of the spring onion. In fact, in some parts of the world it is called spring garlic. That is, before the garlic matures and separates itself into the pods you normally see, it looks like a thinner version of spring onions – with a deep green stalk and pale white bulb. This is known as green garlic, and is a seasonal ingredient that can be used raw or cooked in various dishes. It has a less pungent and more verdant flavor compared to garlic.
Garlic Rotis, Green Garlic Multigrain Roti
4 Reasons why Green Garlic is good for you.
1. Green garlic Lowers Cholesterol
2. It keeps your Blood Pressure under check
3. As a result, it also improves your Heart Health
4. Green garlic is also known to prevent stomach Cancer
So, how can you get hold of this healthy and tasty ingredient? In India, it is available readily in the winter months. You can buy a batch from the market and use it in your favorite recipes. It stays good in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Coriander Green Garlic Chutney
Much loved by garlic lovers for its smart flavor and enticing smell, green garlic can be used in most recipes that use garlic, especially if you want a slightly milder flavor. It can be incorporated into both continental and Indian dishes, and also made into pickles, chutneys, spreads and dips.
Fresh Green Garlic Pickle
Top 10 Recipes using Green Garlic
Green garlic is an awesome ingredient that improves the flavor…
1. Coriander Garlic Chutney
2. Wagharelo Rotla
You will also relish the pleasantly pungent, leafy flavour of green garlic in pickles, pancakes and spreads.
4. Fresh Green Garlic Pickle
5. Fresh Green Garlic Pancakes : These are yummy rice pancakes with the vibrant flavour of green garlic! Green garlic has a lovely, balanced flavour which is noticeable but not overpowering like the dried ones.
Fresh Green Garlic Pancakes, Winter Fresh Green Garlic Pancakes
This makes green garlic suitable to be used as a key ingredient in recipes like this. Together with green chillies and coriander, fresh green garlic gives these pancakes a really enjoyable and exciting taste.
6. Green Garlic Spread : A garlicky spread with a strong flavour, the Green Garlic Spread is a specialty in Gujarati households. Easy and quick, this spread is made frequently in the winter when green garlic is widely available.
Green Garlic Spread, Spread for Rotis
It can be used immediately or stored in the deep freezer for 15-20 days. When you feel like treating your palate to this pungent treat, just remove the required amount from the freezer and spread generously on hot bajra , jowar or Ragi Roti and enjoy!
Green garlic fits like a charm into intrinsically Indian dishes like dal, subzi, roti and rice.
7. Hare Lehsun ki Dal : Hare lehsun ki dal for weight loss is a protein rich delicacy. With not much spices added, this healthy lehsuni dal is a must-try recipe whenever you can lay your hands on green garlic.
Hare Lehsun ki Dal
8. Hare Lehsun ki Subzi : Fresh green garlic is one of spring’s gifts to us, and here is a wonderful hare lehsun ki sabzi recipe to make good use of it! So we have got you a super quick recipe which can be made in blink of an eye which is hare lehsun ki sabzi recipe. The best part is that once you keep all the ingredients ready, it takes just a minute to prepare this hare lehsun ki sabzi recipe.
Hare Lehsun ki Sabzi
9. Garlic Rotis : green garlic roti recipe is a green garlic multigrain roti made of 3 healthy flours. Jowar flour, bajra flour and whole wheat flour along with green garlic make this a healthy green garlic roti which can be had with some curds.
Garlic Rotis, Green Garlic Multigrain Roti
10. Lilva Rice : If you love green garlic so much that just a few months of winter are not enough to enjoy it, then you can make a paste of green garlic and store it in the deep freezer to use throughout the year!
Lilva Rice ( Gujarati Recipe)
Benefits of Green Garlic (hara lehsun)
Green Garlic (hara lahsun) : The most peculiar benefit of green garlic is due to its active ingredient, allicin. This works as a powerful antioxidant to boost your immune system and prevent against common infections like cough and cold as well as chronic diseases like cancer. It protects the heart by maintaining the levels of cholesterol in the body. It also soothes the digestive tract by treating intestinal microbes. Just chop green garlic and use it creatively to make rotis, pancakes, chutney etc.
Enjoy our fresh green garlic recipes | Indian recipes using green garlic below.