What foods to eat during your second trimester of pregnancy? Second trimester Indian recipes.
Second Trimester Indian foods. second trimester Indian recipes. With the onset of second trimester, you are a step ahead in your Pregnancy. This trimester is a period of rapid growth and development of the fetus.
Your priority during pregnancy should be to choose a variety of nutritious foods from the following food groups:
1) Cereals and whole grains : It is recommended to consume about 7-8 servings of cereals per day. Cereals provide you the necessary energy which is required in increased amounts during pregnancy. They also provide fibre which will keep constipation at bay. Try to avoid refined products like maida. Include a variety of whole grains like wheat, barley, bajra, ragi in your diet.
Almond Bread, Homemade Almond Bread Without Eggs
2) Pulses and legumes : It is recommended to consume about 1-2 servings of pulses per day. They are vegetarian source of protein and hence should be used in combination with cereals to enhance the protein quality. Dals like mung, masoor, toovar, pulses in the form of sprouts or as whole are good to go in salads, pulao’s and sabzi’s.
3) Milk and Milk products : It is recommended to consume about 3-4 servings of dairy products per day. They provide high quality proteins and calcium. Calcium and protein requirements also increase during pregnancy to support the growth and development of the foetus. So it is suggested that you eat dairy products like milk, yoghurt, paneer etc.
4) Vegetables : It is recommended to consume about 5-6 servings of vegetables per day. Include a variety of colourful vegetables to get a wide range of nutrients. Choose all types of vegetables like leafy ones such as spinach, methi, cabbage, lettuce etc. greens such as capsicum, broccoli, peas etc, orange ones like carrots and pumpkin, reds like tomatoes and red capsicum, yellow such as corn and yellow capsicum, purple like brinjal and purple cabbage etc.
5) Fruits : It is recommended to consume about 3-4 servings of fruits per day. Fruits provide a variety of nutrients and antioxidants too. Just like vegetables, one should consume a variety of colorful fruits too to make your diet colorful like a rainbow. Fruits like apple, pineapple, pear, oranges, guava, watermelon, grapes etc.
Include a variety of healthy nuts to give you omega-3 fats. Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios etc. Peanuts are also a good option for pregnant ladies because they are cheap in cost.
Snacks to have in second trimester
Palak Methi Muthia
You will stop feel nauseated and the morning sickness will soon disappear in the second trimester. This is also the time when you crave to eat a variety of dishes, with a new taste each time. But remember to not overdo the spice or sugar dosage. So explore recipes like Jowar Methi Roti, Moong Dal Dosa etc.
Your appetite will increase and you will feel the urge to eat small meals more often. To make those we have designed a few recipes like Orange and Mint Juice, Poha Cutlet, Mooli Muthias and so on.
Foods in second trimester should be rich in energy and protein
Quick Paneer Subzi
The energy and protein requirement should be made up to reach the desired weight of this trimester. Some women tend to lose weight in first trimester. Then they need to catch up on that weight gain too. So focus on energy dense recipe like Sprout and Fruit Bhel, Strawberry Milkshake, Stuffed bajra Roti, Kulith Salad etc.
Leg cramps also occur to some women in this part of gestation. Focus of dairy products, sprouts and greens to provide your body with loads of calcium. Broccoli, Carrot and Paneer Subzi, Sprouts Pulao etc.
Broccoli, Carrot and Paneer Subzi
Lastly, remember Iodine is also a nutrient that’s very important for baby’s growth. So ensure you use a good quality brand of iodised salt in your daily cooking.
Enjoy our range of recipes foods to eat during your second trimester and check out our other pregnancy recipe categories.
Pregnancy First Trimester Recipes
Pregnancy Third Trimester Recipes
Weight Loss after Pregnancy Recipes