This category has been viewed 100798 times
Course > Breakfast >
Quick breakfast recipes
Last Updated : May 12,2018
Quick Breakfast Recipes
Breakfast is called so because it breaks a night-long fast. It is the most important meal of the day, because we have not eaten anything overnight, for around 10-12 hours, and in the morning we need to replenish our body’s energy and nutrient reserves, to gear up for the new day!
Most of us agree with the fact that breakfast is an absolute necessity, no negotiation whatsoever. However, in the dizzying hurry that we all are in, so many of us head out without having our breakfast. Just a cup of coffee or tea and we are off. This is an absolute no-no! Even if you got up late, were too busy or simply feeling lazy, there is no acceptable excuse for not having breakfast.
That said, we cannot deny the fact that mornings are the busiest part of the day and most of us hardly have time. So, we have come up with a selection of quick and easy breakfast recipes, which you can make even when you are too busy. There are loads of options for those who have their breakfast at home, and some choices even for those who eat it on-the-go or carry it to office in a dabba.
7 Steps to plan your breakfast
1. Plan your breakfast the previous day, so that you can keep the ingredients ready to save time in the morning.
2. Planning ahead also increases the options you have, because you will have time to soak, grind or ferment batters.
3. Choose recipes that use ingredients available at home or at least easily available in local shops.
4. During the weekend, make a list of 7 items that you can make for the 7 days of the week so that you do not have to waste time every day on deciding the menu. This will also help you to finish your ingredients shopping at one go.
5. Theplas can be made in advance and used for 2 to 3 days. There are also some dishes like Aloo Paratha that can be prepared and stored in the deep-freezer, to cook and serve easily in the mornings.
6. You can also prepare and deep-freeze some common ingredients like mashed potatoes.
7. You can also prepare accompaniments like chutneys when you find time in the weekend and refrigerate them, to save time on weekdays.
Once you have decided on the week-long menu, the next step is to do your ingredient shopping. Then, each night, look at what you have planned for the next day, and keep everything ready, so that in the morning you can start cooking right away without bothering about dough and batters! Here are some specific pointers, on how to plan ahead for foods like paratha, upma, etc.
Top 5 popular quick breakfast recipes to carry to work
Never skip breakfast because you need to get to work early. Make one of these no-fuss, super quick breakfast recipes and carry them along to have at your workplace or on-the-go.
Getting things ready for a paratha
• Make the dough at night and keep it ready in fridge.
• If the recipe uses potatoes, boil them, cool and store in the fridge.
• If you are taking the parathas along to eat later, then keep the packing materials ready. You can even pack the chutney or curds in the respective containers and stow them into the fridge, so that you can just pop them into your bag in the morning.
Planning ahead for idlis and uttapas
• Prepare the batter.
• Make coconut chutney, coriander chutney or tomato chutney the previous night and store in the fridge. Take it out first thing in the morning so that it will be at room temperature when you eat.
• If you are making sambhar, pressure-cook the dal and keep it in the fridge the previous night itself. If you are really hard-pressed for time, then you can even make the sambhar the previous night and refrigerate. Heat and serve in the morning.
All set for making upma
• Chop the veggies and keep them ready.
• You can roast the rava, cool it and store in an airtight container. If you are dry-roasting the rava, you can store it at room temperature, else if you have roasted with oil or ghee, store it in the fridge.
Getting ready to make poha
• Chop the veggies and keep them ready.
• If the recipe uses potatoes, boil them and store in the fridge.
• Kanda Poha, Tomato Poha and Batata Poha are very easy and can be made in a jiffy in the morning.
Top 5 popular quick breakfast recipes to eat at home
If you are eating breakfast at home, you have a comparatively larger choice of quick-fix breakfasts compared to those who carry it in a dabba. So, here are some of our Indian favourite breakfast options. They are easy and fast, and generally use only common ingredients.
Top 5 juices and smoothies for breakfast
When you are in a real rush, you can have one of these satiating smoothies for breakfast. You can also couple your breakfast dish with a juice to make it a power-packed meal!
Armed with these recipes, and many more available on our website, we are sure you never have to go hungry in the morning again. Remember, breakfast is a must. It must become a non-negotiable routine, which we do not even dream of skipping!
Try Our Other Breakfast Recipes…
44 Breakfast Dhokla Recipes
153 Breakfast/Idlis/Dosas/Appe Recipes
117 Breakfast Pancakes/Chilas Recipes
162 Breakfast Sandwiches Recipes
106 Breakfast Theplas/Parathas Recipes
78 Breakfast Upma/Poha Recipes
51 Breakfast Using left-Overs Recipes
43 Jain Breakfast Recipes
58 Low Cal Breakfast Recipes
24 May 18
Cold Cocoa Milkshake by Tarla Dalal
Need an excuse to start your day with some chocolate? add it to this cocoa milkshake! this cold confection makes a good substitute for coffee, especially when the weather is hot and you don’t fancy a hot beverage or a cooked breakfast.
21 May 18
Rice and Cucumber Pancakes by Tarla Dalal
These instant pancakes require no advance preparations. Just whip them up in time for a quick breakfast or tuck them into your child’s tiffin box. Besan and potatoes act as binding agents and ensure the pancakes are of the right texture.
21 May 18
Anti Ageing Breakfast Platter by Tarla Dalal
A recipe accidentally stumbled upon in a secret medicinal chest belonging to some Jain monks. Analysis revealed that it contained vital nutrients that slows the process of ageing.
16 May 18
Masala Green Pea Puri by Tarla Dalal
A scrumptious variant to the regular puri
with the subtle taste of green pea and a touch of spices, the Masala Green Pea Puri can be enjoyed as a snack
05 May 18
Oats Rava Idli by Tarla Dalal
Idlis are a breakfast favourite even outside South India. Fibre rich oats and rava combine to make delicious instant idlis that you can enjoy fresh off the steamer with sambhar
05 May 17
Almond Banana Smoothie by Tarla Dalal
Fruit and nuts complement each other no matter in what form. When you don’t have time for a cooked breakfast whip up a hearty almond and banana smoothie for instant energy!
You can also try other smoothies like Black Grape Smoothie
30 Apr 18
Kanda Poha, Mumbai Roadside Recipes by Tarla Dalal
Maharashtrians would feel lost without poha! beaten rice flakes tossed with the traditional tempering of mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves, this is served aesthetically with tiny wedges of lemon. If you are in a rush, you can just grab a readily available parcel of poha and have it later in t ....
26 Nov 13
Poha Dhokla by Tarla Dalal
Feel like having dhoklas for breakfast? you can whip them up instantly by using beaten rice, which requires no soaking or fermenting. These dhoklas also make a good tiffin option since they do not need reheating. Green chutney balances the not-so-spicy dhoklas.
04 Apr 18
Instant Oats and Whole Wheat Uttapam by Tarla Dalal
Uttapam ready in a jiffy without having to soak, grind or ferment the batter! Yes, this is an instant variety that uses a perfect mix of oats flour and whole wheat flour fortified with a good dose of veggies too.
It has a scrumptious mouth-feel and absolutely awesome flavour that is sure to kick ....
19 Mar 18
Apple Cucumber Juice by Tarla Dalal
Fibre-rich apples and juicy cucumber make a light and invigorating juice that helps to detoxify the body and keep your skin glowing all day!
04 Jan 17
Banana Paratha, Delhi Street Food by Tarla Dalal
A culinary gem from the streets of Delhi, the Banana Paratha is a delicacy that is much-loved by kids and adults alike.
As soon as you read the name Banana Paratha, you would have assumed several things, like say, a paratha with a spicy filling of raw banana! No, this recipe is completely the op ....
31 Oct 16
Masala Puris Served with Curds and Chunda, Masala Puri for Breakfast by Tarla Dalal
These flavour-packed puris are perfect to have for breakfast when you are in the mood for something traditional, but don’t have enough time to prepare an elaborate spread with accompaniments and all.
A simple dough of whole wheat flour is pepped up with everyday spice powders, which give the Mas ....
02 May 17
Bajra Raab, Gujrati Bajra Raab Recipe by Tarla Dalal
A porridge-like food made of ghee-roasted bajra flour, the Bajra Raab is very apt for lactating mothers. Sweetened mildly with sugar, it has a comforting taste and mouth-feel that kind of warms the body and soul!
It is ideal to have during the winters, when it will not only make the new mother f ....
14 Mar 18
Sunny Side Up Eggs, Breakfast Recipe by Tarla Dalal
A quick and easy egg-based breakfast that tastes yum and looks good too.
Sunny Side Up Eggs as the name suggests looks like a splash of yellow on a white background, so it has a bright and cheery look that invites you to take a bite!
The best part is that it can be made very easily and quick ....
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.