This category has been viewed 103866 times
Course > Breakfast >
Quick breakfast recipes
Last Updated : Jul 04,2018
Quick Breakfast Recipes
Breakfast is called so because it breaks a night-long fast. It is the most important meal of the day, because we have not eaten anything overnight, for around 10-12 hours, and in the morning we need to replenish our body’s energy and nutrient reserves, to gear up for the new day!
Most of us agree with the fact that breakfast is an absolute necessity, no negotiation whatsoever. However, in the dizzying hurry that we all are in, so many of us head out without having our breakfast. Just a cup of coffee or tea and we are off. This is an absolute no-no! Even if you got up late, were too busy or simply feeling lazy, there is no acceptable excuse for not having breakfast.
That said, we cannot deny the fact that mornings are the busiest part of the day and most of us hardly have time. So, we have come up with a selection of quick and easy breakfast recipes, which you can make even when you are too busy. There are loads of options for those who have their breakfast at home, and some choices even for those who eat it on-the-go or carry it to office in a dabba.
7 Steps to plan your breakfast
1. Plan your breakfast the previous day, so that you can keep the ingredients ready to save time in the morning.
2. Planning ahead also increases the options you have, because you will have time to soak, grind or ferment batters.
3. Choose recipes that use ingredients available at home or at least easily available in local shops.
4. During the weekend, make a list of 7 items that you can make for the 7 days of the week so that you do not have to waste time every day on deciding the menu. This will also help you to finish your ingredients shopping at one go.
5. Theplas can be made in advance and used for 2 to 3 days. There are also some dishes like Aloo Paratha that can be prepared and stored in the deep-freezer, to cook and serve easily in the mornings.
6. You can also prepare and deep-freeze some common ingredients like mashed potatoes.
7. You can also prepare accompaniments like chutneys when you find time in the weekend and refrigerate them, to save time on weekdays.
Once you have decided on the week-long menu, the next step is to do your ingredient shopping. Then, each night, look at what you have planned for the next day, and keep everything ready, so that in the morning you can start cooking right away without bothering about dough and batters! Here are some specific pointers, on how to plan ahead for foods like paratha, upma, etc.
Top 5 popular quick breakfast recipes to carry to work
Never skip breakfast because you need to get to work early. Make one of these no-fuss, super quick breakfast recipes and carry them along to have at your workplace or on-the-go.
Getting things ready for a paratha
• Make the dough at night and keep it ready in fridge.
• If the recipe uses potatoes, boil them, cool and store in the fridge.
• If you are taking the parathas along to eat later, then keep the packing materials ready. You can even pack the chutney or curds in the respective containers and stow them into the fridge, so that you can just pop them into your bag in the morning.
Planning ahead for idlis and uttapas
• Prepare the batter.
• Make coconut chutney, coriander chutney or tomato chutney the previous night and store in the fridge. Take it out first thing in the morning so that it will be at room temperature when you eat.
• If you are making sambhar, pressure-cook the dal and keep it in the fridge the previous night itself. If you are really hard-pressed for time, then you can even make the sambhar the previous night and refrigerate. Heat and serve in the morning.
All set for making upma
• Chop the veggies and keep them ready.
• You can roast the rava, cool it and store in an airtight container. If you are dry-roasting the rava, you can store it at room temperature, else if you have roasted with oil or ghee, store it in the fridge.
Getting ready to make poha
• Chop the veggies and keep them ready.
• If the recipe uses potatoes, boil them and store in the fridge.
• Kanda Poha, Tomato Poha and Batata Poha are very easy and can be made in a jiffy in the morning.
Top 5 popular quick breakfast recipes to eat at home
If you are eating breakfast at home, you have a comparatively larger choice of quick-fix breakfasts compared to those who carry it in a dabba. So, here are some of our Indian favourite breakfast options. They are easy and fast, and generally use only common ingredients.
Top 5 juices and smoothies for breakfast
When you are in a real rush, you can have one of these satiating smoothies for breakfast. You can also couple your breakfast dish with a juice to make it a power-packed meal!
Armed with these recipes, and many more available on our website, we are sure you never have to go hungry in the morning again. Remember, breakfast is a must. It must become a non-negotiable routine, which we do not even dream of skipping!
Try Our Other Breakfast Recipes…
44 Breakfast Dhokla Recipes
153 Breakfast/Idlis/Dosas/Appe Recipes
117 Breakfast Pancakes/Chilas Recipes
162 Breakfast Sandwiches Recipes
106 Breakfast Theplas/Parathas Recipes
78 Breakfast Upma/Poha Recipes
51 Breakfast Using left-Overs Recipes
43 Jain Breakfast Recipes
58 Low Cal Breakfast Recipes
26 Nov 13
Carrot and Red Pepper Juice by Tarla Dalal
Drink your vegetables for a change! In addition to tasting great, this melange of carrot, capsicum and tomatoes will do great things for your eyesight. Vitamin c-rich capsicum will also help build immunity and ease stress before you set out for the day.
04 Jul 18
Sabudana Khichdi, Upvas, Faraal, Fasting Sago Khichdi Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Sabudana Khichdi is a perfect food for those on a fast – but generally wiped off by others in the family who are not on a fast also, because it is so irresistibly tasty!
The chewy texture and starchy taste of sago is so beautifully complemented by the nutty flavour of coarsely powdered peanuts ....
02 Jul 18
Batata Poha, Quick Kanda Batata Poha, Aloo Poha by Tarla Dalal
Batata poha is so wholesome and tasty that you can make it any time of the day, as Breakfast
, supper or a simple snack.
The potatoes and onions act as a soft and moist interlude to the chewy poha, while the traditional tempering, ginger-chilli paste and ....
24 Jun 18
Mango Puri , Aam Ki Poori by Tarla Dalal
This delicious sweet puri with the strong flavour of mangoes is truly droolworthy! A dough of flour and pureed mangoes, tinged with spices like cardamom, is rolled into puris and deep-fried to get this yummy tea-time snack.
The dough is generally a little soft, so you have to be careful while ro ....
30 Mar 18
Vegetable Upma, Upma Recipe by Tarla Dalal
Vegetable Upma is an all-time favourite breakfast or snack that is enjoyed all over India and across the world too, because if its convenience, sumptuousness and enjoyable flavour. This Upma is basically made of semolina cooked with a traditional tempering and an assortment of veggies, which lend th ....
12 Jul 18
Cold Cocoa Milkshake by Tarla Dalal
Need an excuse to start your day with some chocolate? add it to this cocoa milkshake! this cold confection makes a good substitute for coffee, especially when the weather is hot and you don’t fancy a hot beverage or a cooked breakfast.
04 Jun 18
Rice and Cucumber Pancakes by Tarla Dalal
These instant pancakes require no advance preparations. Just whip them up in time for a quick breakfast or tuck them into your child’s tiffin box. Besan and potatoes act as binding agents and ensure the pancakes are of the right texture.
30 May 18
Egg Roll, Breakfast Or Snack Recipe by Tarla Dalal
The Egg Roll is a unique and tasty recipe, in which cooked rotis are lined with an egg mixture, cooked again, and then wrapped with the yummiest assortment of onions, veggies and sauces.
With an amazing mix of textures and flavours, the Egg Roll is sure to appease young and old alike. It can be ....
11 Jul 18
Upma, Quick Upma Recipe, Breakfast Upma by Tarla Dalal
Upma is one of the most common Breakfast
items, all over India. It is a quick preparation using common ingredients, and so it can be made without much ado.
Plus, you can also make it healthier by adding a lot of boiled veggies like carrots, beans, potato ....
16 May 18
Masala Green Pea Puri by Tarla Dalal
A scrumptious variant to the regular puri
with the subtle taste of green pea and a touch of spices, the Masala Green Pea Puri can be enjoyed as a snack
05 May 18
Oats Rava Idli by Tarla Dalal
Idlis are a breakfast favourite even outside South India. Fibre rich oats and rava combine to make delicious instant idlis that you can enjoy fresh off the steamer with sambhar
31 May 18
Almond Banana Smoothie by Tarla Dalal
Fruit and nuts complement each other no matter in what form. When you don’t have time for a cooked breakfast whip up a hearty almond and banana smoothie for instant energy!
You can also try other smoothies like Black Grape Smoothie
31 May 18
Kanda Poha, Mumbai Roadside Recipes by Tarla Dalal
Maharashtrians would feel lost without poha! beaten rice flakes tossed with the traditional tempering of mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves, this is served aesthetically with tiny wedges of lemon. If you are in a rush, you can just grab a readily available parcel of poha and have it later in t ....
26 Nov 13
Poha Dhokla by Tarla Dalal
Feel like having dhoklas for breakfast? you can whip them up instantly by using beaten rice, which requires no soaking or fermenting. These dhoklas also make a good tiffin option since they do not need reheating. Green chutney balances the not-so-spicy dhoklas.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.