We all know the common saying ‘Breakfast like a king, lunch like a common man, and dinner like a pauper!’ but have you ever wondered why? We do not eat anything through the night, that is, we fast all night. In the morning, we need to break this fast with nutritious and energy-packed food. Breakfast is like fuel for our body and mind. Having a good sumptuous breakfast can keep you cheerful, energetic and attentive all day long. It can also help you manage your weight better, because breakfast kick-starts your metabolism the right way and avoids binging on calorie-laden snacks in the mid-morning. In short, breakfast makes you beautiful inside and out.
5 Facts about Breakfast
1. Breakfast must be had within two hours of waking up.
2. Apart from energy, your breakfast should be rich in nutrients like calcium, iron, B-vitamins, protein and fibre. So try to include lots of veggies, fruits and nuts in your breakfast.
3. If you are to take five cups of fruits and veggies each day, try to include at least one cup during breakfast.
4. Research shows that those who have breakfast regularly are more likely to be in the ideal weight range as their metabolism is better. Weight-watchers – take care never to skip breakfast again. It’s the tastiest way to good health.
5. As breakfast provides the brain with glucose at the right time, it improves cognitive function. Those who breakfast regularly have good memory and concentration. They are also able to lead a happier, stress-free life as a well-fuelled brain manages moods better!
How to plan your breakfast...
1. Plan your breakfast menu for the whole week in the weekend itself so that you can finish your shopping at one go. This will also give you enough time to prepare batters, masalas, etc.
2. At least make sure you decide the previous evening, so that you can do the soaking, grinding and other preparations earlier.
3. Choose items that you and your family will enjoy having, so that your day will start on a cheerful mood.
4. Ensure a good variety. You will get bored if you have the same cereals, idlis or parathas every day. So pick flavourful breakfasts from different cuisines, so there is a delightful surprise on the table each morning.
5. Try to have breakfast together, so that the family gets some time to bond before diving headlong into the busy day.
6. If any of you have to leave early, plan to make breakfasts that can be had on-the-go or packed in a tiffin dabba, so that they can still have their breakfast on time. No compromise!
7. On oh-so-busy days, work in at least a milkshake or a smoothie to make sure you do not step out on an empty stomach.
Veg Breakfast Recipes
Indian cuisine offers a mind-boggling variety of vegetarian breakfast recipes. There are so many that you can have a different Indian breakfast every day of the month, or for even longer! Each region has specialties, and they taste different from others, so by experimenting with different regional cuisines you can really expand the variety in front of you.
South Indian Breakfast Recipes
We don’t need to tell you much about South Indian breakfasts because that is how popular they are. Idli, Dosa or Ven Pongal and Vada, enjoyed with Sambhar and Chutney, is like one of the most sumptuous breakfasts you can think of. Made of rice and pulses, these dishes provide you with ample energy and protein to run the day. Have a go at some all-time favourites like…
3. Ven Pongal
6. Coconut Chutney
7. Filter Coffee
Popular Maharashtrian Breakfasts
Think of Maharashtrian breakfast and Poha is one of the first options that come to mind, but there are many more delightful treats like Upma, Sheera and Thalipeeth, enjoyed with delicious accompaniments.
1. Batata Poha
2. Kanda Poha
3. Sabudana Khichdi
7. Green Chilli Thecha
Like the idli is to a South Indian, dhokla is to a Gujarati. Indeed, it is one of the most versatile Gujarati snacks, which can be enjoyed for breakfast or as an evening snack. There are several varieties of dhokla made with different cereal grains and pulses, so you can enjoy different options each week. Other Gujarati favourites are thepla and muthia. The thepla is also a traveller’s delight. Made the right way, it lasts for a few days, so it can be carried along on a train journey to ensure you have a tasty and timely breakfast!
1. Khaman Dhokla
2. Rava Dhokla
3. Doodhi Muthias
4. Cabbage Jowar Muthias
6. Methi Thepla
7. Methi Thepla without Curd, for Travel
Zesty Punjabi Breakfast
Punjabis like to have sumptuous meals, and the same rule applies – quite strongly – to breakfast too. A Punjabi would traditionally have a couple of parathas with a luscious lassi for breakfast. By adding various ingredients to the whole wheat flour dough or by stuffing the parathas with various fillings, you can make a large variety of tasty parathas, which are yummy and wholesome too.
1. Aloo Paratha
2. Gobi Paratha
3. Mooli Paratha
4. Kulcha with Chana
5. Puri with Chana
Easy breakfast recipes
Agreed, all of us need to have breakfast, and there is a great big variety out there too, but have we forgotten the hustle-bustle of the morning hours? With a few hours and a great many tasks, breakfast tends to go down the priority chart! We all wake up hungry, and we all deserve to have breakfast, irrespective of how busy we are. However, there are some recipes that can be made without fussing and sweating in the kitchen for too long. Oatmeal Almond Milk just needs you to mix the ingredients together and it is super healthy too. If you have the dough ready, making Masala Puris is as simple as rolling and frying. If you have just 10 minutes, you can comfortably make the Tomato Poha! These are more recipes of this kind will ensure you never skip breakfast again…
1. Oatmeal Almond Milk with Oranges
2. Masala Puris Served with Curds and Chunda
3. Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
4. Tomato Poha
5. Curd Upma
6. Jowar Pyaz Ki Roti
8. Bread Upma
Kids’ Breakfast Recipes
We can’t send kids to school with just a glass of milk or a banana and expect them to be top performers! A sumptuous breakfast is a must to improve the child’s cognitive skills. Memory, concentration, happiness – all these and more depend on the quality of breakfast. Yet, we understand your problems. Most moms are busy. They need to finish a huge line-up of chores before rushing off to office themselves. Some kids can also be so fussy that moms just give up trying to make them eat breakfast. We’ve thought up some tasty and quick dishes that moms can prepare in a jiffy, and kids will wipe out faster because they are super yummy. Dishes like Coriander Upma, Quick Vegetable Appe and Khakhra with Sprouted Moong are just right for kids!
1. Coriander Upma
2. Quick Vegetable Appe
3. Instant Oats Dosa
4. Khakhra with Sprouted Moong
5. Bournvita Milk Recipe
6. Corn Poha
7. Methi Thepla Wrap
8. Vanilla Milkshake
9. Tomato and Cucumber Open Sandwich
10. Paushtic Parathas
11. Green Peas Sandwich
Microwave Breakfast Recipes
Many households have microwave ovens these days. A busy morning is just the right time to put it to good use, to churn out a tasty breakfast. Imagine those days when there is milk on one burner of your stove, lunch dishes on other burners, and ultimately when you are done with all that you realise there is no time to make breakfast. Let your appliances come to your aid. Pop some ingredients into your microwave and go get ready for work. When you are ready, so is your breakfast. Sit with your family, enjoy the meal, and head out with confidence.
1. Microwave Rava Idli
2. Batata Poha
3. Atta ka Sheera
4. Green Peas Dhokla
5. Semolina Upma
6. Apple Jam
Breakfasts for busy days
Despite all that planning, there are days when you just don’t have time for breakfast. Keep some stuff ready on hand to aid on those days. Keep a jar of homemade jam handy so that you can spread some on your toast and gulp it down. Make yourself a quick milkshake or smoothie. Keep some tasty khakhras in stock – it is as filling as having a chapatti. Khakhras are also handy when you need to have breakfast on-the-go.
1. Oats Methi Multi-flour Khakhra
2. Masala Khakhra
3. Khakhra with Sprouted Moong
4. Nachni Sesame Khakhra
5. Papaya and Green Apple Smoothie
6. Apple and Oats Milkshake
7. Oats, Coconut Milk, Peanut Butter Healthy Smoothie
Quick breakfast cereals
Although having cereals for breakfast is not a native Indian habit, it is one of the practices we have imbibed from continental, American and other cuisines. Sure, it might not be as chatpata as our desi breakfasts, but it definitely comes to our aid on a busy morning. A bowl of cereals topped with milk or curds and loads of fruits and nuts is not only tasty but also sumptuous and super healthy. Though different commercial brands of cereals are readily available in the market, it is healthier and tastier if you make it at home. So, whenever you find time, you can make a batch of muesli or other cereal mix and keep it handy in a jar. When you do not have time, just fill a bowl with cereals and enjoy a nutritious breakfast.
2. Banana Apple Porridge
3. Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe
4. Healthy Instant Oatmeal
5. Healthy Peanut Almond Milk Oatmeal
Healthy Vegan Breakfasts
Vegans, you are not short of choices in any way! There are loads of Indian breakfast recipes like Poha, Upma, Idli, etc., which do not use any milk products, honey or other animal products. However, when it comes to smoothies, shakes and cereals, vegans think they do not have much to choose from. Have a look at what we have in store for you…
1. Oatmeal Almond Milk with Apples
2. Rice and Moong Dal Idli
3. Strawberry Steel Cut Oats with Tea Masala
4. Chocolate Almond Milk
5. Oats Upma
6. Protein-Packed Poha
There are some beverages like smoothies, milkshakes and juices that can be your breakfast itself. And then there are some that make breakfast a complete experience like coffee, tea, chaas or lassi. South Indians cannot think of breakfast without coffee, while North Indians like their cup of tea. A Punjabi breakfast is incomplete without lassi while a glass of chaas or jaljeera would make breakfast more palatable in the summer!
1. South Indian filter coffee
2. Indian tea, chaai
3. Masala Chaai
6. Mango Lassi
7. Carrot Spinach and Parsley Juice
8. Healthy Guava Drink
9. Red Capsicum, Carrot and Apple Juice
10. Coconut and Papaya Drink
Armed with so many mouth-watering recipes, some so quick, some so tasty, and some both, you can never again give a valid excuse for skipping breakfast. Let breakfast be a time for your family to bond. By making recipes from different regions, you can also make it a window into different cultures! Start each day on a wonderfully peppy note, and see how beautifully the day progresses.
Try Our Other Breakfast Recipes…
44 Breakfast Dhokla Recipes
153 Breakfast/Idlis/Dosas/Appe Recipes
117 Breakfast Pancakes/Chilas Recipes
162 Breakfast Sandwiches Recipes
106 Breakfast Theplas/Parathas Recipes
78 Breakfast Upma/Poha Recipes
51 Breakfast Using left-Overs Recipes
43 Jain Breakfast Recipes
58 Low Cal Breakfast Recipes
203 Quick Breakfast Recipes