Top 10 Snacks, Starters for Cocktail Parties
A cocktail party is usually an occasion for celebration. It might be to celebrate an occasion, an achievement or simply a sophisticated get-together.
Some of the occasions for which cocktail parties are held:
1. Pre-wedding events
2. Birthday party
3. Business meeting
4. Baby shower
6. Any other happy moment worth celebrating!
At a cocktail party, the guests are usually served several bite-sized starters along with alcohol-based drinks or cocktails. A couple of non-alcoholic mocktails are also served for teetotalers. The guests will be moving around freely at a cocktail party. The snacks or starters may be placed at tables at convenient places or carried around by bearers depending on the scale of the party, the place where it is held, the number of helpers available, etc.
Usually, dry and bite-sized snacks are preferred. The starters are always made to look very attractive because there is a certain standard to live up to in a cocktail party! The cocktails may precede a brunch or dinner party.
10 Tips to choose your Veg Starters wisely for Cocktail Parties
1. Always include some starters with bread as it soaks up alcohol.
2. Let not all the starters be deep-fried. Not only will it get difficult to prepare, but some people might be hesitant about having so much deep-fried stuff. So, include some raw, steamed or baked starters too.
3. Include a selection of chips and dry tidbits that can be enjoyed with dips.
4. The starters served should be easy to pick and eat, and not saucy or messy. Go for bite-sized!
5. Pick a good mix of deep-fried, baked, tandoori and barbequed snacks.
6. Make it convenient for the guests by serving each starter with toothpicks and tissues.
7. The starters should be piping hot and fresh.
8. Ensure that the starters are circulated well, or placed amply in several locations, so that is it available for all the guests to try.
9. The cocktail snacks must be arranged attractively in platters to make it look classy.
10. Do not select starters with uncommon ingredients, because some guests might be hesitant to try. Mushrooms and eggs are also not very preferable.
A mix of Indian and international starters will strike a proper balance and make sure all your guests are satiated. When a series of snacks is served one after the other, variety is very important. Only then people will pay attention to and individually relish each snack. If the snacks are repetitive, for example if you serve four or five types of tikkis one after the other, the guests will get bored and not even notice what they are eating. So, go for a good variety.
This is not very difficult to do, because there does exist a rather large pool of cocktail snacks and starters in every cuisine. You can go for standard, ever-popular choices like the Corn Cheese Balls, Nacho Chips with Cheese Dip and Besan Masala Peanuts, or surprise your guests with something different like the Cheesy Baked Zucchini Fries or Pav Bhaji Fondue! Croquettes and crostini are ideal to serve at cocktail parties because they are handily sized and extremely attractive to look at. If you are planning to serve Tikkis or samosas, make sure you size them small.
When arranging a cocktail party, the idea is not just to serve satiating food, but to do it in such way that you set a new standard that’s spoken about memorably for a long time! Class and convenience go hand-in-hand to make a cocktail party a great success.