Rasam Idli, Idli Rasam
by Tarla Dalal
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Rasam Idli, Idli Rasam in Gujarati)
Added to 36 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33194 times
While most people think of serving idlis with sambhar and chutney, the fact is that there are many more exciting serving options for this versatile South Indian snack.
And, one such idea is to combine it with the homely South Indian rasam. Although sambhar is more well-known across the country, rasam is considered a homelier treat – and if a South Indian was in a hurry and had time to prepare just one dish, it would be rasam. This is because the rasam, due to its soupy consistency and peppy flavour is quite refreshing to have, whether like a soup, with rice, or like in this recipe, with idli.
To make Rasam Idli, make sure you drown the idlis in really hot rasam so that the flavours will seep in and it will taste superb. Make sure you pour a lot of rasam if you want a soupy dish, as the idlis tend to absorb the rasam immediately.
- For the rasam powder, combine the coriander seeds, dry red chillies, peppercorns, 1 tsp toovar dal, chana dal and cumin seeds in a small broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep the rasam powder aside.
- Combine 1½ tbsp of toovar dal and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend the dal mixture using a hand blender till smooth.
- Add the rasam powder, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared dal-rasam powder mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds crackle, add the tempering to the prepared rasam, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Divide the rasam into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Just before serving, place 4 idlis in a serving bowl, pour a portion of hot rasam over it.
- Repeat step 1 to make 5 more plates.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Rasam Idli Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.