Pressure Cooker Naan, Naan with Yeast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 958 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 139973 times
Naan is an Indian bread that is famous all over the world. While authentic naan is made in a clay oven or tandoor, this recipe lets you replicate the same taste and texture using a pressure cooker, a handy utensil that almost every Indian kitchen has!
The Pressure Cooker Naan is a typical example of ingenuity winning over inability. Not everybody has a tandoor to experiment with, but a pressure cooker is something everybody has. So, why not put that to good use!
The pressure cooker, placed upside down on the stove, emulates the same environment as a tandoor and gives the naan the same special wood-fired aroma and texture. Try it to believe us.
Have a go at other pressure cooker recipes like Pindi Chole and Panchratni Dal .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 5 tbsp of lukewarm water in a bowl and cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, yeast-sugar mixture, curds, melted ghee and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough, using enough lukewarm water if required.
- Cover the dough with a lid or wet muslin cloth for atleast 30 minutes. Knead again for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Press a portion of the dough on a rolling board. Roll out into an oblong of 125 mm. (5") using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Remove the lid from the pressure cooker and heat the pressure cooker upside down.
- Take a naan, apply a little water on one side and stick the wet side around the inside of the pressure cooker using hand gloves. Place the pressure cooker upside down and cook on a medium flame till brown spots appear.
- Remove and brush it with 1 tsp of butter.
- Repeat steps 5 to 8 to make 7 more naans.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per naan
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.