Potato Cakes Topped with Beans and Tomato Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 110 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13952 times
In this yummy recipe, succulent and semi-spicy potato cakes, cooked crisp in a tava, are topped with a tangy and sumptuous gravy, which features mixed beans in a tomato base. The gravy is quite simple and easy to prepare – boiled beans cooked quickly with just tomatoes, onions and minimal spices.
However, together with the potato cakes, it transforms into an exotic, multi-textured and excitingly flavoured treat. You will also find the Potato Cakes topped with Beans and Tomato Gravy to be quite filling, so you can have it as an evening snack , or give it to children after school .
- Soak the broad beans, kidney beans and black eyed beans overnight in enough water in a deep bowl. Drain well.
- Combine the beans and 1½ cups of water, baking soda and little salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain well. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and ¼ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely, add ½ cup of water and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture, chilli, chilli powder, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked beans and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes ,while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Dip the bread slices in water for few seconds and squeeze out the water and crumble the bread in a deep bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions and roll a portion of the mixture into a 38 mm. (1½”) diameter round cakes.
- Heat a non- stick tava (griddle) , grease it with oil and cook the potato cakes using little more oil till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, re-heat the tomato bean gravy. Place the potato cakes in a big serving plate, top it with the prepared tomato bean gravy and serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||510.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||43.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||57.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.