Paan ki Chaat, Recipe in Hindi by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 1216 times
Betel leaves, used mostly as a mouth-freshener, also lends itself to make Paan ki Chaat, a traditional North Indian favourite that many people recall fondly as one of the most unforgettable experiences of trips to regions like Benaras.
The betel leaves are batter-coated and deep-fried till absolutely crisp. They are then broken into pieces and topped with spice powders, chutneys and curds to make a mind-blowing chaat. You will be amazed to see that despite the number of other ingredients used, the paan leaves still retain their unique flavour, which is what makes this chaat so exclusive!
Recipe Description for Paan ki Chaat
- Combine all the ingredients along with enough water in a deep bowl and mix well to make a thin batter. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, dip each pan leaf at a time into the batter and deep-fry each on a medium flame till it turns light brown and crisp from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Break 2 fried paan leaves into pieces and place them on a serving plate.
- Put ¼ cup of whisked curds, 1 tbsp of sweet chutney and 2 tsp of green chutney evenly over it. Finally sprinkle a little chilli powder, cumin seeds powder and sev evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 9 more plates.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.