Moong Dal Papadi, Healthy Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14475 times
Any papadi as a jar snack , never fails to make tea-time a lively affair.
While the traditional deep-fried version is made with refined flour, here we have given the recipe several innovative twists to make it super healthy.
This Moong Dal Papadi is made with a combination of whole wheat flour and yellow moong dal, spiced up with sesame seeds, coriander and other tasty ingredients.
What’s more, this healthy treat is cooked on a tava with least oil. Try it and you will be surprised by how tasty and crisp it turns out!
Also do try other healthy jar snacks like Beetroot Shakkarpara , Thattai or Ragi and Oat Crackers .
- Soak the yellow moong dal in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the yellow moong dal and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the paste into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and knead into a semi-stiff dough using 1 to 2 tbsp of water if needed.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 225 mm. (9”) diameter thin circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Cut into 6 equal circles using a cookie cutter or vati of approx. 37 mm. (1½“) to 50 mm. (2”) diameter in size.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to make more circles. Keep doing till the dough is over and you will get 36 circles in total.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Cook 6 circles on it at a time, while pressing them using folded muslin cloth or khakhra press, till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 8 to 9 to cook 30 more papadis.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.