Moong Dal Pandoli ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27604 times
Moong dal pandoli, similar to idlis, but made in a unique style, the pandolis taste best when served steaming hot with chutney and tea. The batter is spooned on a muslin cloth that is tied over boiling hot water, making it a really different preparation style. You will need a bit of practice to cook it this way, but believe me, it becomes easy once you try it a few times. If it just doesn’t work out, you can also make it quickly using an idli mould or a thali. Pay attention to the tempering as it is a key flavour enhancer.
- Clean and soak the moong dal in enough water for 2 to 3 hours. Wash thoroughly to remove some skin and drain.
- Add 1 tbsp of water and curds and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Add the ginger -green chilli paste and salt and mix well.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Tie a muslin cloth on top of a vessel half-filled with water and heat till the water boils.
- Just before steaming sprinkle the fruit salt on the batter and add lemon juice over it, when the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Put 1 tbsp of the batter on the muslin at regular intervals, cover with a dome shaped lid and steam for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make more pandolis. Serve immediately.
- You can use chola dal instead of moong dal for a variation.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||49.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||53.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.