Moong Dal Handvo Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 9229 times
Moong dal handvo is a popular savoury cake among the natives of Gujarat. Here, we have replaced rice with lentils in order to enhance the recipe's protein content. Semolina adds crunch and makes the handvo crisper. Cut it into pieces after cooling slightly, as it will be soft inside and you will not get proper pieces. Tempering adds the flavour to this dish, but those who are health conscious can omit it or use only 1 tsp oil for tempering.
Recipe Description for Moong Dal Handvo ( Non- Fried Snacks )
- Clean, wash and soak the yellow moong dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 3 hours. Drain well and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste without using water.
- Combine the moong dal paste, semolina, carrots, curds, sugar, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander and salt together in a deep bowl and mix well to make a batter.
- Just before cooking, add the fruit salt and add 2 tbsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the batter over the tempering and spread it evenly to make a thick layer. Cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the base turns crisp and golden brown in colour.
- Turn the handva upside down using a flat plate.
- Slide the handva back into the same kadhai, cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for another 5 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour from the other side. Keep aside.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
See step by step images of Moong Dal Handvo ( Non- Fried Snacks ) Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.