Mooli Moong Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 577 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 119644 times
Mooli or white radish is extensively used in Rajasthani cooking unlike in other parts of India where it's merely considered a salad vegetable. Radish adds sharp and pungent accents in this bland moong dal. And like all traditional Rajasthani recipes, this dal too, is tempered with ghee. Some households even add tender radish leaves along with the radish to provide extra flavour to the dal. You can do that too!
- Combine the radish, moong dal, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the cumin seeds, bayleaf and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the green chillies, ginger, asafoetida, chilli powder, cooked radish-dal mixture and ½ cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Mooli Moong Dal video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.