Mixed Beans Curry with Potato Balls
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 179 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21725 times
Unfussy cooking with just tomatoes and onions helps highlight the nutty flavour of beans. Here, the addition of potato balls transforms a simple mixed beans curry into a more elaborate delicacy, without losing its basic nature. The addition of cashews or peanuts provides a much needed crunch in the midst of the potato mash, making the mixed beans curry with potato balls an all-rounder.
- Soak rangoon na vaal and rajma in enough water in a bowl and keep aside overnight.
- Next day, drain, add enough water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Drain the beans and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Cool slightly, blend in a mixer to a smooth pulp. Strain using a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared tomato pulp, green chillies, chilli powder, sugar, salt and the cooked beans, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Dip the bread slice in water for 15 seconds. Squeeze out all the water and crumble the bread.
- Combine the crumbled bread with all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and shape each portion into a round ball.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry, a few potato balls at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Just before serving, reheat the beans curry, add the potato balls, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||423.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||29.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||36.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.