Mini Dal Pakwan Chaat by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 574 times
Dal Pakwan is an all-time favourite Sindhi breakfast of crispy puris served with a chana dal curry. Here, we have converted this lovely combo into a snazzy chaat. The pakwans are made in an attractive mini-size, and topped with delicious chana dal. A garnish of onions, pomegranate and bhujia completes the Mini Dal Pakwan Chaat, giving it a lot of more interesting flavours and textures! This is a very exciting snack, which will be loved by young and old alike.
Recipe Description for Mini Dal Pakwan Chaat
- Combine the chana dal, turmeric powder, salt and ¾ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape completely before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chilli and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chana dal, garam masala and chilli powder and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a firm dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter thin circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Prick it with a fork at regular intervals and cut into 8 small rounds of approx. 50 mm. (2”) diameter with the help of a cookie cutter or a sharp round vaati.
- Scrape off the remaining dough after cutting the rounds.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 till the dough gets over.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few pakwans at a time on a medium flame, till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, arrange 9 mini pakwans on a serving plate.
- Top each mini pakwan with little dal, 1 tsp khajur imli ki chutney, ½ tsp green chutney, 1 tsp onions and 1 tsp pomegranate.
- Sprinkle little salt evenly over each pakwan and top it with 1 tsp bikaneri bhujia.
- Garnish with 1 tbsp of coriander.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 to make 4 more plates.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.