Laal Math Ka Saag ( Know Your Green Leafy Vegetables)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 80037 times
A nutrient-rich, quick and versatile subzi that can be had with chapattis as well as rice. You can add garlic to the tempering for added flavour.
- Combine the coriander seeds and cumin seeds on a tava (griddle) and dry roast on a slow flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut and roast for a minute, while stirring continuously. Keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a broad pan, add the red chillies, asafoetida and garlic, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the red amaranth leaves and turmeric powder, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook on a medium flame till the water dries out, stirring once in between.
- Mash lightly, using the back of a spoon and add the prepared powder. Mix well, cook over a slow flame for 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining ½ tbsp of oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When they crackle, add the urad dal and the curry leaves and sauté for 30 seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Pour this tempering over the bhaji and mix well. Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.