Kovalam Matar, Green Peas Cooked with Cashewnut and Coconut Paste
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 20 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16058 times
Kovalam Matar is a semi-dry and semi-spicy subzi of green peas and tomatoes cooked with spice powders and a cashew paste.
It is quite easy and quick to prepare and makes use of everyday ingredients, yet it has a rich and exotic feel because of the cashew-coconut paste and the juiciness of green peas.
A garnish of coriander gives a fresh burst of flavour to this green peas subzi making it a delight to savour.
Love green peas, then also do try other variations like Green Peas and Mint Soup , Green Peas Kheer , Green Peas Pancake , Green Peas Waffles and Green Peas Sandwich .
- Combine the cashewnuts and coconut in a microwave-safe bowl, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using 2 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- Combine the oil, urad dal, cumin seeds, ginger-garlic paste and onions in a deep microwave-safe bowl, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and 2 tsp of water, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared paste, green peas, salt and ¼ cup water, mix well and microwave on high for 1 more minute.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.