Khatta Moong ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 258 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 269434 times
khatta moong recipe | Gujarati khatta moong | khatta mag | dahiwala khatta moong | green moong in buttermilk curry | with amazing 22 images.
khatta moong is a quick and easy Gujarati sabzi recipe. It is super easy to make and is made with minimum and the most basic ingredients. Each ingredient used in the recipe is used in Indian houses on a regular basis such as moong sprouts, sour cuds, besan, ginger green chilli pasta and spices.
The use of whole green gram or moong is very common in day-to-day Gujarati food. dahiwala khatta moong is a lovely recipe that features cooked moong simmered with curds and spices. The use of curds bestows a unique, sumptuous feel to this recipe. Garlic-lovers can even add a little garlic paste to add a whole new dimension to this Gujarati khatta moong.
Being a Gujju, I make khatta moong atleast once in a week for lunch or dinner and each and every family members simply loves this simple yet delicious recipe! You can have Gujarati khatta moong with bhakri, roti or chapatti. I prefer having it with rice. It falls under the category of my comfort food, you are also equally going to love this khatta moong recipe!
Learn to make khatta moong recipe | Gujarati khatta moong | khatta mag | dahiwala khatta moong | green moong in buttermilk curry | with detailed step by step recipe photos and video below.
- To make khatta moong, wash and soak the whole moong in enough water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain.
- Add 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Combine the sour curds, chilli powder, turmeric powder and besan in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked moong, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the curds-besan mixture, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish the khatta moong with coriander and serve immediately with rice or roti.
Khatta Moong Video by Tarla Dalal
Khatta Moong ( Gujarati Recipe) recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.