khatta dhokla recipe | white dhokla | Gujarati khatta dhokla | traditional khatta dhokla farsan |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 189 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 133607 times
khatta dhokla recipe | white dhokla | Gujarati khatta dhokla | traditional khatta dhokla farsan | with 25 amazing images.
khatta dhokla is a popular Gujarati snack made of rice and urad dal. Learn to make traditional khatta dhokla farsan.
Gujaratis and khatta dhokla are synonymous. White dhokla are popular steamed cakes made using rice and urad dal. Also, there are hundreds of variation to the dhokla recipe
Here, we show you how to make authentic khatta dhokla using a batter of rice and urad. Seasoned with black pepper and chilli powder, this steamed Gujarati snack is super tasty and amazingly soft too.
Serve khatta dhokla with Green Cutney as a starter or as an evening snack.
Enjoy khatta dhokla recipe | white dhokla | Gujarati khatta dhokla | traditional khatta dhokla farsan | with step by step photos.
- To make khatta dhokla, combine the urad dal and rice in a deep bowl with enough water and keep aside to soak for 3 hours. Drain well.
- Blend in a mixer using 1½ cups of water till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix very well.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
- After fermentation, mix the batter well and add all the other ingredients and mix.
- Divide the batter into 4 equal portions.
- Pour a portion of the batter into a greased 175 mm. (7”) diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread it evenly to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp of chilli powder or black pepper evenly over it and steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Smear ½ tsp of oil on top, cool slightly and cut into square or diamond shaped equal pieces using a sharp knife.
- Repeat steps 7 to 9 to make 3 more thalis.
- Serve the khatta dhokla immediately with green chutney.
Khatta Dhokla, Gujarati Farsan recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.