Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13190 times
Add a spicy toch to your meal fare with this indian vegetable delicacy, karela masaledaar. The karela or bitter gourd is cut into circulars and then stir fried with onion, ginger garlic and tomatoes.
- Slice bitter gourd into thin discs and soak in sour buttermilk for 4-5 hours.
- Drain, wash, sprinkle liberally with salt and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Rub the slices well with hand, wash and drain.
- Boil in enough water till soft and drain, wash, drain again and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the add the mustard seeds abd asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, ginger, tomato, chillies and tamarind and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the dry masalas to 1/2 cup water, mix well and add to the pan and cook till the oil separates.
- Add the karela slices, mix well and add the molasses and mix well.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot or cold with chappatis.
This recipe was contributed by vinodsharma on 26 Sep 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.