Jain Pav Bhaji by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 536 times
Jain pav bhaji, there is something for everybody on the streets of mumbai. Those who do not eat potatoes, onions and garlic do not have to go home hungry! pav bhaji is made for jains using mashed peas and tomatoes.
Recipe Description for Jain Pav Bhaji ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
- Heat the oil and butter on a large tava (griddle) or in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add 2 tbsp of red chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the oil separates, while mashing continuously with a potato masher.
- Add the cauliflower, mashed hara vatana, green peas, coriander and 1/3 cup of water, mash well using a potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
- Heat a large tava, add 2 tsp of butter and ¼ tsp of pav bhaji masala, mix well and slit open the pavs and place on it.
- Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
- Place ¼th of the bhaji, 2 pavs, a few tomato slices, a lemon wedge and a papad on a plate.
- Top the bhaji with 1 tsp of butter and serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
- Pav bhaji masala is a spice blend, which is readily available under different brand names at most grocery stores.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.