Hyderabadi Baingan Subzi (Low Cholesterol Recipes) Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 11258 times
Grated cauliflower replaces coconut to create a healthier and heart-friendly version of the traditional Hyderabadi Baghara Baingan. Although most people will not think of pressure-cooking brinjals, here we have opted for that method so as to retain the nutrients and reduce the oil required. As a result, this delicious Hyderabadi Baingan Subzi, with the lingering flavour of spices, ranging from nigella and sesame seeds to coriander and cumin, comes to us in a surprising zero cholesterol format.
Recipe Description for Hyderabadi Baingan Subzi
- Combine the sesame seeds, cauliflower, roasted chana dal, onions ginger and garlic in a non-stick pan, and dry roast them on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the flavours are released and the ingredients turn light brown in colour.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, and tamarind water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Slit each brinjal lengthwise into four, leaving the stems on so the brinjals remain joined at the stem. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the brinjals and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the paste, 1 cup of water and salt and mix well cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
| 113 kcal|| 4.6 gm|| 11.7 gm|| 3.5 gm|| 1.6 mg|| 2.7 gm|| 0 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.