Gujarati Toovar Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 59 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33486 times
A satiating dal with an interesting sweet, little spicy and tangy flavour, the Gujarati Toovar Dal is a homely dish that will remind you of mom any time, any where! A tempering of whole spices adds a lot of punch to this dal recipe, while tomatoes add enough tang and jaggery imparts a pleasant sweetness to it. Despite its simplicity and homeliness, the Gujarati Toovar Dal has a well-rounded and exciting flavour – so much so that a bowl of rice or a couple of rotis with a cup of this dal will make a nice, satisfying meal!
- Combine the toovar dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add 1 cup of water to the cooked toovar dal and blend it using a hand blender to a smooth mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep non-stick pan, add the turmeric powder, green chillies, ginger, tomatoes, jaggery, 1½ cups of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cloves, cinnamon and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Switch off the flame, add the asafoetida, chilli powder, mix well and immediately add it to the boiling dal.
- Mix the dal well and continue cooking on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
Gujarati Toovar Dal Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.