Last Updated : Oct 25,2017
Viewed 5793 times
Also known as
Short grained Japanese rice
Sushi Rice is any short-grained variety of rice, which becomes sticky after cooking. It is usually white in colour. This rice is the base for any kind of sushi. Different countries use different kinds of rice for sushi, but the variety should meet two requirements – being short-grained, and becoming sticky after cooking.
Sushi rice is cooked by boiling in water, and kept aside to cool. Now, it gets sticky to touch. To make sushi, a bamboo mat is placed on a clean, dry surface, and a portion of the sticky rice is placed over it. It is spread evenly with wet hands leaving a half-inch gap on all four sides, and pressed gently. The rice may be dressed in vinegar to give it a nice flavour. Different chefs use different methods of preparing sushi.
How to select
• Check the label to ensure that it is Sushi Rice. Verify the expiry date too.
• There are different brands and pack sizes to choose from. Take your pick.
• If you are able to look inside, make sure the grains are short.
• It is used to make Sushi, a famous Japanese dish.
How to store
• Store in an airtight container in a dry, dark place in the kitchen cabinet.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.