Last Updated : Oct 25,2017
Viewed 6037 times
Also known as
Surajmukhi Ka Tel
Sunflower oil is edible oil extracted from the seeds (kernels) of the sunflower plant. It is mild, medium-yellow coloured and neutral or bland in taste. The refining process gives sunflower oil excellent frying quality and resistance to smoking or discoloration. It also has a pleasant taste and resists developing off-flavours.
There are several types of sunflower oils produced, such as high linoleic, high oleic and mid oleic. Sunflower oil is less expensive than most other types of vegetable oils.
How to select
• Sunflower oil is usually sold bottled or in pouches or Tetrapaks.
• Choose oil with a light golden colour, free from any discoloration, cloudiness or granules.
• Check the manufacturing and expiry dates before buying.
• Inspect the pouch for leaks.
• Since sunflower oil is almost tasteless and odourless, it is a good choice for baking.
• Due to its high smoke point, sunflower oil is suitable for deep frying
• Sunflower oil may also be used to prepare mayonnaise, salad dressings or sautéing vegetables.
How to store
• Store the sunflower oil in a cool and dark place.
• Avoid reusing the leftover oil from deep frying as reheating oil again and again may affect the chemical composition and rancidity quotient of the oil.
• Unopened bottles or metal containers, can be kept for about a year. Once opened, it should be used within two months, after which, it may turn rancid (bad) and shouldn't be consumed.
• If possible, transfer the oil from the can into a glass bottle to avoid metallic tasting oil; plastic containers shouldn't be used because they may lend a "plastic" taste to the oil.
• Sunflower oil is a concentrated source of energy, is easily digestible and provides essential fatty acids.
• It is a rich source of Vitamin E and polyunsaturated fatty acids, which may help regulate blood cholesterol.
• Linoleic sunflower oil is common cooking oil that has high levels of essential fatty acids called polyunsaturated fat. It is also known for having a clean taste and low levels of transfat.
• Sunflower oil contains very little cholesterol.
• Sunflower oil, like other oils, can retain moisture in the skin. It may also provide a protective barrier that resists infection in pre-term infants.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.