steel cut oats
Last Updated : Feb 20,2018
Viewed 304 times
Steel Cut Oats comes from Oats being cut by steel blades which help them stay dense and chewy when cooked as compared to processed oats which are consumed by the masses. These are whole oats which have more protein and fibre in them and its worth taking the extra time to cook Steel Cut oats.
Nutritional Information of Steel Cut Oats
One cup of uncooked quick Steel Cut Oats is 74 grams.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Nutritional Information for 1 cup of uncooked steel cut Oats
28 grams of Protein
49 grams of Carbs
5 grams of Fat
20 grams of High Fiber = 80% of RDA (about 25 to 30 grams)
28 g of Protein = 50.9% of RDA ( about 55 g)
281 mg of Phosphorus : 46.8% of RDA (about 600 mg for adult)
130 mg of Magnesium (Mg) = 37.4% of RDA (about 350 mg )
8 g of Iron = 38% of RDA (about 21 mg)
2.9 mg of Zinc = 29% of RDA (about 10 to 12 mg)
37 mcg of Folate, Vitamin B9 = 18.5% of RDA (about 200 mg)
317 mg of Potassium (K) : 6.7% of RDA (about 4,700 mg)
11 Health Benefits of Oats
1. Good for Heart : It is rich in soluble fibre, which helps lower blood LDL cholesterol, the so-called "Bad" cholesterol. Soluble fibre absorbs water and swells and to become gel like substance which helps in the absorption of nutrients like B Vitamins and minerals like Magnesium and Zinc which are key to a good heart. Oats are rich in Beta Glucan, a soluble fibre which dissolves in the digestive track forming a thick gel which binds excess cholesterol within the gut and prevent it from being absorbed in the body.
2. Rich in Antioxidant : Whole Oats have a antioxidant called Avenanthramide (a polyphenol from oats) which helps lower blood pressure levels through nitric oxide which widen the blood vessels resulting in better blood flow and lower blood pressure.
3. High in Soluble Fiber : Barley and Oats are rich in Beta Glucan, a soluble fibre which dissolves in the digestive track forming a thick gel which binds excess cholesterol within the gut and prevent it from being absorbed in the body.
4. Weight Loss : Oats are rich in Beta Glucan, a soluble fibre which dissolves in the small intestine forming a thick gel like substance. This gel slows down the pace at which food moves through our digestive track and keeping you feeling full for a longer time. Even better, it allows more time for nutrient absorption. You will eat less and your body will get better nutrients.
5. Good for Diabetics : Since Steel Cut Oats is high in fibre since Oatmeal takes time to digest resulting in the slow release of blood sugar. Oatmeal is Oats with milk or even a more healthier option is Oats with Almond Milk. try this recipe
6. Oats are Gluten Free : Great for those who are intolerant to wheat.
7. Rich in Phosphorus
8. Good source of Vitamin B1, Thiamine
9. Good source of Magnesium
10. Good source of Zinc
11. Good source of Protein Steel cut oats is an excellent source of Protein and much higher value than regular oats. The protein is complete containing small amounts of all essential amino acids.
12. High in Iron (Fe): Being a whole grain like Barley is, Steel Cut Oats will help in raising your haemoglobin levels.
Glycemic Index of Oats
Steel Cut Oats has a Glycemic Index of 45 which is low but most oats sold in supermarkets are instant oats and have a medium GI. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Steel Cut Oats have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss and diabetics. But eat in moderation instant oats sold in supermarkets as they are processed and lots of their health benefits stripped.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.