Last Updated : Sep 04,2019
Viewed 119414 times
Also Known as
Soya nuggets, soy chunks, soy nuggets
All are aware of the goodness of protein-rich soybean. But for many a homemaker it is a tough job to incorporate this goodness in the daily menu as many youngsters and even grown-ups shy away from this ''wonder bean''. Soy nuggets offer a way out! All all-time favourite, they make it very easy to prepare tasty dishes the soy way.
These nuggets are made like our Indian vadis, using a batter of soy flour dried out in the sun, to be used in dishes later. They are odourless and tasteless by themselves, presenting to every cook a blank canvas to paint on. The very fact that the boiled nuggets turn spongy, all ready to absorb any flavours you dunk them in, make them a delight to cook with. Biting into one of the nuggets and letting the absorbed juices explode in your mouth is a foodie's delight.
Soaked and chopped soya chunks
Wash the soya nuggets and then soak it prior to boiling which eases the cooking. Bring water to a boil. Add soya nuggets. Let it cook for 5 minutes and shut off the heat. Let it stay for 4-5 hours. After pre-soak is done, drain it and use the pre-soaked soya nuggets as desired. Chop the same using a sharp knife.
Soaked soya chunks
To soak the soya chunks, place the soya chunks in a deep bowl, add enough hot water so that the soya chunks are fully soaked in water. Cover and keep aside for 10-15 minutes or till they turn soft. You can also add salt for salty taste of the soaked soya chunks.
How to Select
• Soya nuggets are generally available in prepackaged containers as well as bulk bins.
• Just as with any other food that you may purchase in the bulk section, make sure that the bins containing the nuggets are covered and that the store has a good product turnover so as to ensure its maximal freshness.
• Whether purchasing in bulk or in a packaged container, make sure that there is no evidence of moisture or insect damage, and that the nuggets are whole and not powdery.
• The dried nuggets have to be either soaked in salted boiling water for a few minutes or boiled in salted water for 3-4 minutes, until they balloon out and become soft, before use.
• You can enjoy soya chunks in a salad. Being high in protein it is extremely filling.
• You can add them to stews and soups, or use them to add volume and nutrition to subzis.
• Soya nuggets with pasta perked up with mixed herbs is truly delicious.
• To make a tasty and healthy salad, first grate radish and carrot. Chop cabbage and cut tomatoes, onions and cucumber into rings. Arrange grated vegetables in the centre, and rings on the side. Mix nuggets in cream and put in the centre. Sprinkle lemon juice, vinegar and salt on top, and serve the Soya Nugget Salad with pav buns.
How to Store
• Store dried soya nuggets in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place where they will keep for up to 12 months.
• Do not mix new and old stock, and the old stock will become rancid before the new ones, spoiling the whole lot.
• Soya nuggets are rich in vitamins, minerals, isoflavones and lecithin, nutrients proven to help lower cholesterol, prevent cancer and loss of bone mass.
• Soya is strongly recommended for diabetics, expectant mothers, growing children, cardiac patients, weight-watchers and the aged.
• A 100 per cent vegetarian high quality protein source that does wonders for young and old.
• Especially great for growing children, as it provides critical vitamins, minerals, fibre and protein.
• Eating more high-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and soya nuggets helps to lose weight.
• Soya nuggets are one of the best non-fish sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids, which may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
• Soy protein may provide positive results for people with high blood pressure.
• Soy protein is beneficial to women in post-menopausal years.
• Soya is low in fat and sodium, and may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.