· Parwal can be cooked on its own or can be stuffed with spices of your choice.
· Cooked padwal tastes great with avail, dal/sambhar
· Although, the most common everyday method seem to be cooking these gourd solo with few spices, either with or without a gravy.
· The snake gourd is also called tomato gourd in some parts of the world because the bright red pulp around the mature seeds is used much like tomato pulp in cooking.
· In India, the gourd is used as curry vegetable
· Cooking methods include the addition of milk to the simmering stew.
· Snake gourd can also be pickled. The stem tips and leaves are edible, but boiling is essential to remove the unpleasant odour.
How to store snake gourd, padwal, parwal, padval
Store in a cool dry place; in an air-tight container, preferably in a refrigerator. .
Health benefits of snake gourd, padwal, parwal, padval
· Hundred grams of snake gourd contains only 20 calorie.
· The snake gourd is rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium and phosphorous.
· The fruit is rich in dietary fibre and contains many medicinal compounds.
· An analysis of snake gourd shows it to consist of substantial amount of moisture and little protein, fat, fibre and carbohydrate.
· Its mineral and vitamin contents are calcium, phosphorus, iron, substantial amount of carotene, little thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
· It creates a cooling effect in the body.
· Being a low-calorie food, diabetics can safely include it to reduce weight while getting enough nutrition.
· Snake gourd is a popular home remedy for jaundice. Combination of the leaves is beneficial in the treatment of jaundice, if given in 30 to 60 gram doses with a decoction of coriander seeds thrice daily.
· Snake gourd is the best household remedy for heart problems. The juice of the fresh leaves is useful in heart disorders like palpitation and pain in the heart on physical exertion.
· Snake gourd plays a vital role in curing fever also. A decoction of snake gourd is useful in bilious fevers as a thirst reliever and laxative. Its efficacy increases provided it is given with honey.