Last Updated : Jan 11,2018
Viewed 11691 times
Also known as
Gulab ke patte
Rose petals, as the name suggest are loose petals of the lovely flower rose. With vibrant blooms, these velveteen petals transcend mere floral status and seem to spring from the realm of the divine. The rose family, while mostly thought of as decorative, is used extensively as an aromatic seasoning for food, especially sweets. Commonly red coluerd rose peatls are used in food industry to garnish some desserts and also rose essence and water is preared using these bright red rose petals. Other coloured rose petals are also as garnishings. Most roses are edible. Roses are not the only flowers that can be used to add a delicious and exotic taste to all types of dishes. The flavour of rose petals is distinct and immediately recognizable, and it looks as wonderful as it tastes. One can even chop rose petals using a sharp knife, finely or coarsely as per recipe requirement.
Dried rose petals
This refers to fresh rose petals plucked from the stems, placed on a newspaper or a basket or a paper and kept in open air to dry for a few days or till they have shrunk and have got the desired crumbled look. Make sure not to keep it on a wet base.
Shredded rose petals
Pull the petals off right at the base of the stem. Place the petals in a colander and rinse them under running water and pat dry. Group a few petals at a time on a cutting board, then with the help of a sharp knife shred them into small pieces.
How to select
Roses bloom in summer and are best used in the kitchen in bud form or when newly opened. Rose petals can be found primarily in specialty markets. Look for fresh petals with no signs of wilting or browning. Store them loosely packed in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Or try using roses from the garden. To avoid toxic pesticides, make sure fresh roses are organic. Do not use petals that have been sprayed with an insecticide which is not intended for use on food.
• Immerse rose peatls in cool water to flush out any tiny insects, and dry thoroughly in a salad spinner. Add to field greens or use as a garnish for desserts
• Northern India is known for its delicious milk-based sweets, many of which hint of rose.
• Rose ice cream is enjoyed and relished in many parts of India.
• In France, red rose petals are candied and used to decorate cakes and other sweets.
• Rose-based medicines rose liqueur and rose-flavoured sweets, biscuits, jam, jelly and honey are also available.
• To make rose ice cubes - Boil together for five minutes, two cups full of water and 1/2 cup fullsugar. Pour this over 1/2 cup full finely minced rose leaves. Cool, add juice of three lemons. Strain. Freeze in cubes, use in fruit drinks and herb teas.
How to Store
To keep rose and its petals fresh for a few days, place rose peatls in a plastic bag in the refrigerator to help tretain their crispness and freshness.
• Rose petals are considered cooling, a stomach settler, and a digestive aid.
• It is an antioxidant, a tonic, a mild laxative, and good for memory and eyesight.
• Rose petal tea may soothe mild sore throats and open blocked bronchial tubes, making it especially useful for treating colds and flu.
• Rose petals have a decongestant action in the female reproductive system. Rose petals can be used to relieve uterine congestion causing pain and heavy periods, as well as for irregular periods, infertility and to enhance sexual desire.
• An infusion makes a useful astringent remedy for diarrhea, enteritis and dysentery.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.