Last Updated : Sep 06,2019
Viewed 17279 times
Also Known as
Rice is boiled, dried and ground into fine, semolina-like powder. It is white to cream coloured, and has a smoother and finer texture compared to wheat semolina, which makes it suitable for mixing into batters, such as for making idli.
Unlike wheat semolina that is made from the inner endosperm of wheat, rice semolina is made from the entire rice grain. Also, since rice is gluten-free, this is a good alternative to wheat semolina for those with gluten sensitivity.
How to Select
• It is available all year round in all grocery stores. Just check on the freshness and packaging.
• Check for any debris, raw grains, stones etc.
• Rice semolina is an important ingredient in making idlis, where it substitutes parboiled rice. Just soak the semolina and mix with urad dal paste. Allow to ferment and use for making idlis.
• It can also be added to dosa batter to make crunchy dosas, having a texture similar to rava dosa.
How to Store
• Store it raw or roasted in an airtight container.
• Keep away from moisture, as it will render the rava unpalatable.
• Since rice semolina is gluten free, it is useful for those with gluten allergy.
• It is a good source of carbohydrates, and hence a good source of energy.
• Rice semolina boosts your intake of several B-complex vitamins, especially folate and thiamin.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.