Last Updated : Feb 20,2019
Viewed 2534 times
Also known as
White quinoa flour
What is Quinoa flour Most people are stumped by how to pronounce this complex looking word, so let us begin by telling you that. It is quite simple actually. Quinoa is pronounced as “keen-wa”. It is a grain crop grown for its edible seeds, which have high protein content. Quinoa is a little similar to buckwheat.
Quinoa flour is made by grinding quinoa grains into finer particles to get flour. It is creamy yellow to ivory white in colour. There are different kinds of quinoa like red quinoa and black quinoa, but white quinoa is most commonly used. Quinoa flour is very expensive, so people buy whole quinoa in bulk and make it into flour by grinding in a food processor at home or in a flour mill, as per their requirement. Quinoa flour is a healthy option for those who are gluten intolerant.
How to select Quinoa flour
• Check the label to ensure it says Quinoa Flour, and also check the expiry date.
• Examine the package for damages.
• If the pack is transparent, look inside to see if the flour is yellowish or creamy in colour, and finely ground. The flour should not look lumpy.
Culinary uses of Quinoa flour
• Quinoa flour is used to make gluten-free breads and other baked goods like pancakes, muffins, pizza base, pie crusts, etc.
• It is usually used in combination with other flours.
• It may be used to thicken sauces, soups, etc.
How to store Quinoa flour
• Store in an airtight container.
• Some people also store quinoa flour in the refrigerator in an airtight container or deep freeze it, to use when required.
9 Health Benefits of Quinoa flour
1. Achieve Weight Loss : The high fiber count of quinoa is the prime nutrient which assist in weight loss. The fiber it possess is almost double than any other grain – 19.9 g per cup. This much fiber is enough to increase the feeling of fullness or give a feeling of satiety and consume fewer calories from junk foods. It’s high protein additionally aids to boost your metabolism and reduce appetite. A decent weight loss is achieved by eating quinoa on a regular basis, probably at least twice to thrice a week.
2. Manage Diabetes : With a low glycemic index of 53, quinoa qualifies to be a part of a diabetic meal plan. A low glycemic index category food will not tend to raise the blood sugar levels rapidly, thus helping to manage diabetes. Also being naturally high in fiber, it gets slowly digested and so helps to handle sugar levels better. However, it’s also important to keep its carbs in mind. Hence it is advisable to not consume only quinoa. Pair it with other high protein foods or high fiber veggies. And if you have been suggested an absolutely low-carb diet, this isn’t a very good choice for you.
Click here to know more about the Health Benefits of Quinoa flour.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.