Viewed 23713 times
Also Known as
Kurmura, murmura, mamra
Puffed rice is a cereal usually made by heating rice kernels under high pressure in the presence of steam, to form puffed grains. There are other methods of manufacturing too.
Puffed rice is used in various breakfast cereals as well as snacks. It is the base ingredient for various street foods all over India, especially the popular chaat item Bhel Puri. It can be combined innovatively with unique combinations of vegetables, fruits, savouries, dry fruits and sauces, to make healthy snacks.
Thick puffed rice
How to Select
• Puffed rice is readily available at all grocery stores, in packages and wholesale bins.
• Always confirm on the freshness and crispness of the puffed rice before purchasing. Old stock often has a rancid taste.
• Also avoid lots that are contaminated with stones or debris.
• Puffed rice or murmura is the key ingredient of the mouth-watering Indian snack - Bhel Puri.
• Puffed rice can also be eaten with milk and sugar.
• It is often used for ready-to-eat cereals and commercially-prepared rice cakes.
• Delicious chikkis can be made by combining puffed rice with jaggery and nuts.
• It is often eaten by itself, roasted with salt and turmeric. It can also be roasted with sweet and sour seasonings, and made crunchier by adding fried cashews or groundnuts, sev etc.
How to Store
• Puffed rice is best stored in an airtight container.
• It should be kept at room temperature and best consumed within 3 to 4 weeks.
• Always ensure that you close the puffed rice container well, as air and moisture can cause the puffed rice to become soggy.
• Puffed rice is light and dry, ideal for obese people, as it is very low in calories and gives a feeling of fullness.
• It is high in iron yet easy to digest.
• It is also a good snack for those sensitive to wheat and gluten.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.