pickled sushi ginger
Last Updated : Oct 07,2017
Viewed 1070 times
Also Known as
Japanese Pickled Ginger, Gari
This marvellous pickle made with pink-tipped young ginger is a Japanese delicacy enjoyed with Sushi.
The ginger used to make Pickled Sushi Ginger is not fully grown; it is young. This gives the pickle a natural pinkish hue and a pleasant, slightly-sweet flavour too. The peel of this ginger is very thin and easy to peel off with our hands itself. The ginger peeled thus, is then sliced very thinly and allowed to marinate in a mixture of rice vinegar and sugar. It has to marinate for 2-3 days or more. The longer it marinates, the sweeter and milder the flavour will be.
Japanese Pickled Ginger is available in gourmet stores, but can also be made at home if you can lay your hands on the right kind of ginger. It is a wonderful accompaniment for Sushi.
How to select
• Pickled ginger is available in gourmet stores selling exotic ingredients, like Nature’s Basket.
• It is usually available bottled. Pick a size, as per your requirement.
• Check the label to see that it is the right product. It might be called Pickled Sushi Ginger, Gari or Japanese Pickled Ginger.
• Check the expiry date before purchasing.
• You can make Gari at home, if you can find young, pink-tipped ginger in the market.
• Gari is very popularly used in Japanese cuisine. It is mainly enjoyed with Sushi – it is placed on top of the Sushi and had.
How to store
• Store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator.
• Check the instructions on the bottle as well.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.