Hot pepper sauce refers to any spicy sauce made from chili peppers and other ingredient. The term pepper sauce is at time used to refer to peppercorn sauce, which is prepared by adding freshly ground peppercorns( black and green) paste to cream or butter or tomatoes. There are many recipes for pepper corn sauces - the common ingredient being crushed peppers.
The peppers are infused in anything from vinegar, oil, and alcohol to fruits and vegetable pulp. Other ingredients, including fruits and vegetables such as raspberries, mangoes, carrots, and chayote squash are sometimes used to add flavor, mellow the heat of the peppers, and thicken the sauce's consistency. Pepper sauces tend to vary in heat by the ingredients in them, which may range from parmesan cheese, black olives, sundried tomatoes, cayenne pepper, vinegar and olive oil.
How to select
Select the sauce as per the hotness required in your recipes. Always check the expiry date and look out for any discoloration of gas formation (bubbles) in the bottle, especially near the tip.
· Pepper corn sauces usually come as a thick paste, and are used either as a dipping sauce or in stir frying
· Marinating the chicken with pepper sauce and then grilling on a barbeque is fantastic.
· When handling fresh peppers or peppercorns, be careful not to touch sensitive areas such as your eyes. It is recommended to rub a little olive or vegetable oil into your hands before you start to give a protective barrier to the pepper oil.
· Pepper sauce is a common ingredient in salad dressings, sandwiches, stir fry vegetables and select rice preparations.
· Pour pepper sauce over steamed vegetables for a beautiful combination of colour and flavour.
How to store
Keep the bottles in a dark cool cupboard for 3 months before using if you can. After opening the seal, keep sauce in the fridge and add a teaspoon to your next dish for a taste of the orient.
· The presence of pepper, tomato, oregano and onions in pepper sauce increases the anti oxidant quotient of the sauce
· Pepper sauce is low in fat content and is good source of Vit A, Vitamin C, iron and manganese.