passion fruit pulp
Last Updated : Feb 21,2018
Viewed 12404 times
Passiflora edulis or passion fruit is a plant cultivated commercially in frost-free areas for its fruit. It is native to South America and widely grown in India, New Zealand and the Caribbean. The passion fruit is round to oval, yellow or dark purple at maturity, with a soft to firm, juicy interior filled with numerous seeds.
The pulp of the passion fruit may be extracted commercially or at home. Wash whole fruits in clean water and discard any bad fruits. Cut fruits in half with a stainless steel knife and scoop out pulp with stainless steel spoon.
The bright yellow variety of passion fruit, which is also known as the Golden Passion fruit, has a smooth, glossy, light and airy rind. While the other variety called dark purple passion fruit is smaller than a lemon, with a dry, wrinkled rind at maturity. The taste and flavor of both the pulp varieties are distinct and used as per the recipe demands.
How to select
Passion fruit pulps are usually available in tin containers or carton box containers. Choose the tins which do not appear dented, rusted or bulging. The expiry date and presence of added colors or flavors should be checked prior to buying.
· In addition to being added to fruit salads, passion fruit pulp is commonly used in desserts, such as the topping for the pavlova ( a type of cake) and cheesecakes
· It may be used to make juice, cocktails, and jams and even on shaved ice.
· In Brazil, passion fruit mousse is a common dessert,
· Ice cream and mochi are also flavored with passion fruit pulp, as well as many other desserts such as cookies, cakes, and ice creams
· The passion fruit pulp is used to flavor yogurt.
How to store
The pulp can be stored for long periods in bulk with 1000-1500ppm of sulphur dioxide or benzoic acid or a mixture of both, but there is a reduction in the quality of the flavor than the fresh ones. The passion fruit pulp should be stored in a plastic container under refrigeration.
· Passion Fruit is low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium , High in Dietary Fiber. Vitamin A and Potassium.
· Passion fruit juice is a good source of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and is known to lower blood pressure because of the presence of heart friendly alkaloids.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.