Last Updated : Feb 06,2019
Viewed 99417 times
Also Known as
Parboiled rice, ukda chawal
What is Parboiled Rice (Ukda Chawal)? Parboiled rice is rice that has been boiled in the husk. Parboiling makes rice easier to process by hand, improves its nutritional profile, and changes its texture. Parboiling rice drives nutrients, especially thiamine, from the bran into the grain, so that parboiled white rice is nutritionally similar to brown rice. Because of this, parboiling was adopted by North American rice growers in the early 20th century. The process of parboiling itself, however, is more than two thousand years old and believed to have originated in the Persian Gulf.
The starches in parboiled rice become gelatinized, making it harder and glassier than other rice. Parboiled rice takes less time to cook, and the cooked rice is firmer and less sticky. In India, parboiled rice is very popular in the southern states. It is preferred for making idlis and dosas, as well as kanji for babies and elders, as it is easier to digest and better in terms of nutrition than raw rice.
How to Select Parboiled Rice (Ukda Chawal)
• Parboiled rice is available prepackaged as well as in bulk containers.
• If purchasing pre-packaged parboiled rice, check the "use-by" date on the package since rice, owing to its natural oils, has the potential to become rancid if kept too long.
• Just as with any other food that you may purchase in the bulk section, make sure that the bins containing the parboiled rice are covered and that the store has a good product turnover so as to ensure maximal freshness.
• Whether purchasing parboiled rice in bulk or in a packaged container, make sure that there is no evidence of moisture or debris.
Culinary Uses of Parboiled Rice (Ukda Chawal)
• The best part about parboiled rice is that you can make the dish as spicy or as bland as you want, without compromising on taste.
• Always wash rice between both palms in a rotary motion, instead of with one hand, to avoid the grain from breaking.
• Never clean rice after soaking. Wash well, and then soak for the required time; generally, 30 to 45 minutes will suffice.
• You can make delicious khichdi with parboiled rice. Parboiled rice, lentils, spices and seasonings are thrown into a pot or pressure cooker and cooked until the ingredients are cooked and blend well together. This makes very tasty, easy and satiating khichdi that can simply be served with papad and cucumber raita. In south India, this is called ven pongal and is generally served with coconut chutney and sambhar.
How to Store Parboiled Rice (Ukda Chawal)
• Since rice still features an oil-rich germ, it is more susceptible to becoming rancid. So, try and buy only monthly stocks of parboiled rice, and use it while still fresh. It is however not too perishable and can be stocked for a few months if kept dry in an airtight container away from direct sunlight.
• Cooked rice should be stored in the refrigerator and can be used for up to 3 or 4 days.
Health Benefits of Parboiled Rice (Ukda Chawal)
1. Parboiled Rice is also known as ukda chawal. The parboiled rice is made with the rice grain soaked, steamed and dried with the hull and finally the hull is removed. In the process of steaming water soluble B Vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin and niacin from the bran integrate into the grain, thus making parboiled rice superior to white rice. A smart option to use parboiled rice effectively would be to combine with a pulse to get a high quality protein. A cereal-pulse combo like in case of idli (parboiled rice with urad dal) would serve as a complete protein comprising of all the 9 essential amino acids that your body requires. And then to make up for the fiber, add veggies to your idli and serve it with coconut chutney. Read is white rice and parboiled rice good for you?
2. Rice is wonderful in treating diarrhoea in children.
3. Being low in fiber is extremely soothing to the digestive system.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.