Last Updated : Jan 06,2018
Viewed 8532 times
Multi grain bread is bread made with multiple types of grains like oats, soya, rye, barley, maize and wheat. Multi grain bread is less soft compared to white bread but the use of different grains adds more texture and flavour to the bread. The balanced proportion of the different grains used in the bread gives it the desirable taste and texture.
Multi grain bread imbibes all the health benefits of the constituent grains, especially high protein and fibre content. Different brands of multi grain bread contain different grains and so the nutritional values differ accordingly. Multi grain bread, when made with whole grains, makes you feel fuller for longer as opposed to white bread, as the carbohydrates get absorbed slowly into the blood.Although the calorie count in some brands of multi grain bread might be higher than white bread, it is still more beneficial than white bread which uses refined flours deprived of nutrients.
Thanks to rising health consciousness, multi grain bread is becoming very popular nowadays.
How to select
• Choose a brand of multi grain bread that contains whole grains.
• Prefer a brand that uses multiple grains and whole wheat flour rather than refined flour as the base.
• Check the date of manufacture and expiry before purchasing.
• Multi grain bread can be used to make sandwiches, which will be healthier than the white bread sandwiches.
• It can also be used to make croutons for soups.
• Multi grain bread can be used to make bread crumbs for various dishes like croquettes, cutlets, etc.
• It can be substituted in most of the recipes which make use of white bread, including starters like Chilli Cheese Toast, Oats Moong Toast, Bread Cups, etc.
How to store
• Before opening, store the bread at room temperature.
• Once opened, store it in the refrigerator in its own packet or a bread box.
• Even if refrigerated, try to use the bread before its expiry date.
• To avoid wastage, you can make croutons or crumbs out of old bread.
• Multi grain bread has lower glycemic index than white bread so it is better for diabetics.
• Multi grain bread has more fibre and so it is healthier than white bread for weight-watchers. It also makes one feel full for a longer period.
• The multiple grains used in the bread have more nutritional value than the refined flour used in white bread.
• Multi grain bread is a good source of carbohydrates.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.