mixed fruit jam
Last Updated : Jul 10,2018
Viewed 26945 times
Mixed fruit jam refers to a combination of fruits or vegetables that have been prepared and canned for long term storage. The preparation of mixed fruit preserves traditionally involves the use of pectin as a gelling agent, although sugar or honey may be used as well. There are various types of mixed fruit jams made globally, and they can be made from sweet or savory ingredients. Properly, the term mixed fruit jam refers to a product made with blend of whole fruit, cut into pieces or crushed. The different fruits used in mixed fruit jam usually vary. The common fruits included are apples, papaya, oranges, chickoo, pine apple, plums , etc. The fruits are heated with water and sugar to activate the pectin in the fruit. The mixture is then put into containers. It comes in myriad varieties.
How to select
Berries and other small fruits are most frequently used, though larger fruits such as apricots, peaches, or plums cut into small pieces or crushed are also used for jams. Good mixed fruit jam has a soft even consistency without distinct pieces of fruit, a bright color, a good fruit flavor and a semi-jellied texture that is easy to spread but has no free liquid. It is better to opt for organic varieties with low organic sugar content. They also have the added benefit of containing no added preservatives or flavors- you get the original and natural taste.
· Mixed fruit Jam are best uses as a spread on plain bread or a toast.
· Mixed fruit Jams may be used in puddings, pies and even ice creams to impact a distinct fruit flavor.
How to store
Store mixed fruit jam in a clear wide mouthed plastic or glass containers and keep in a cool dry place.
· Unlike butter and cheese, they do not contribute to the cholesterol and fat content of your body
· Pectin is a substance contained in all fruits. During the heating process of making jams, this substance gets modified. The modified pectin helps in reducing your chances of having cancer.
· Jams are rich in sugar and a good source of energy. Since they are high in calories, the weight loss seekers and diabetics should use jams sparingly.
High( above 70)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.