Boiled and crushed matki
Blend the boiled and drained matki in a mixer to a coarse mixture, taking care that it does not become a paste. You can also use a potato crusher, just place the boiled matki in a plate and mash it with a potato crusher.
Rinse the matki 1 to 2 times with water to remove dirt and dust if any. Soak the matki in enough water in a bowl for at least 3 to 4 hours. This will reduce the cooking time. Then strain and discard the water. Boil enough water in a deep pan, add the soaked matki, cover with a lid and boil for about 15 to 20 minutes. The time will vary with the quantity of matki being boiled. Foam may form during the first few minutes of cooking, which can simply be skimmed off. The matki is cooked when they burst and the water turns syrupy. You may also pressure cook the soaked matki with or without salt with water for 3 to 4 whistles.
When matki are prepared, they are first inspected for damaged lentils, stones and other foreign matter and discarded. Then rinse the matki 1 to 2 times with water to remove dirt and dust if any. Soak the matki in enough water in a bowl for 6 hours and then strain and discard the water. This removes substances that may cause indigestion and also softens the outer skin for subsequent cooking. Boil and use as required.
· Use matki to make dhal, the classic Indian dish. Usually, they are boiled to a stew-like consistency with vegetables and then seasoned with a mixture of spices to make many side dishes, which are usually served over rice or with rotis.
· Matki are used to prepare an inexpensive and nutritious soup all over Europe and North and South America, sometimes combined with some form of chicken or pork.
· Sprouted matki is popular ingredient in Maharashtrian recipes like usal and misal. It has to be sprouted and combined with peanuts in a proper proportion to prepare the masala matki.
· Purée cooked matki with your favorite herbs and spices and serve as a side dish.
· Recipes like matki pulao, Lehsuni matki , sookha matki masala or boiled matki stuffed paranthas and poories are also quite popular.
How to store matki, moth beans, moth
Store matki in an airtight container away from moisture and direct sunlight. To increase the shelf upto 4 to 5 months, store it in a ziplock bag in the lower section of refrigerator where the temperature is maximum.
Health benefits of matki, moth beans, moth
Matki or moth beans are one of the good sources of protein
. 1/4 cup raw matki yields abut 6 g of protein which can help build muscle mass. The fibre
in it helps to give a satiety value and thus beneficial for weight loss
and managing blood cholesterol levels
. This key nutrient helps to maintain a healthy gut too. It is also a rich in magnesium
. The vitamin B1
is necessary for energy metabolism and helps in converting food into energy. The zinc
in it possesses acts as an antioxidant
and helps ward off harmful free radicals from the body, thus protecting cell health of various organs.