Last Updated : Feb 02,2018
Viewed 33601 times
Also known as
Makai ka atta
Maize flour is derived from the ground and desiccated seed of the maize plant. It is the second most produced and consumed flour after wheat flour, competing with rice flour.
How to Select
It is yellow coloured flour with coarse texture. It is easily available in grocery stores.
• The natural bran, germ and oils in the grain are kept intact thereby retaining the fibre, protein and vitamins.
• Its fine and light texture can be used in corn bread, very famous Makki do Roti, multi-grain recipes, deep-fry batters and in any recipe that uses corn flour meal.
• Its major use is in making Mexican Tortilla, Tacos and Nachos.
How to Store
• Always store maize flour in a cool, dry, dark place where it will last indefinitely.
• Best if refrigerated.
• The flour is naturally rich in dietary fibre, antioxidants, vitamin B, omega 6 unsaturated fat and vegetable proteins.
• It is also rich in magnesium.
• It is relatively less expensive to buy too.
• Fortified maize flour has been used in the eradication of malnutrition in some parts of the world.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.